Solved: ID3 Mass edit

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

anjomayaja

Hi! This may be impossible to do, but I hope there is someone out there that can help me! I will try to explain as best I can. Basically I have 15,000 karaoke songs with file names that are just the song title. I need to search for them by title and artist. The id3 data also just includes song title. I have all the music in an excel spreadsheet listed by title\artist\location on disk\etc...I've tried a ton of id3 mass editing software online(Scary because i don't like to download so many programs that i don't trust) and I haven't been able to get any of them to help!

So my question is...Is there any shortcut or program I can use to apply the excell data to the id3 tags without going song by song?

This is a stupid problem to have, but anyone out there that can help I would be SOOOO greatful!

If it matters I'm using windows 7.

Thank you so much for at least reading this far!

Sincerly,
Trying to not get tendonitus

I'm not sure if it will import your database, but you could give MusicBrainz Tagger a try - it will adjust ID3 tags based on filenames, and by analyzing songs and comparing them to an online database. It can also rename files based on ID3 info.

Hmm, a quick Google search gave me this: http://www.maniactools.com/soft/mp3tag/import-tags-from-text-file.shtml
Import Tags from a Text File

mp3Tag can download missing tag info from FreeDB and Amazon. Alternatively, it can generate tags from filenames and folder names.

But if you have a considerable database of tag info in some text file (like CSV file), you will find this feature quite valuable. As most applications (MS Excel, MS Access etc.) can export information into text files, the feature may be used virtually with every database.

The link Soundy gave you describes how to perform the task that you're trying to do using a program called mp3Tag Pro that costs $30. The same task can be done with a freeware program called Mp3tag.

One program is called mp3Tag and the other is Mp3tag, a tad confusing. :)

The method is the same. Export the data from Excel as a CSV file, use the Text File to Tag conversion in Mp3tag to correct the tags and then use the Tag to Filename conversion to standardize the filenames.

If you need to do an internet lookup to fix some of them you can access MusicBrainz, Discogs or Amazon from within Mp3tag.

Hi Everyone!,
I have almost EXACTLY the same problem as anjomayaja!

i have hundreds of karaoke tracks in folders with approx' 10 tracks to a folder with each folder named as say 'disc001', 'disc 002' etc, with each track having both .mp3's & .cdg's files named as say, 'track 1.mp3' & 'track 1.cdg')

The only track info i have is an excel sheet with the complete track listings for each folder and i'd need to somehow import the artist / track details from this.

I've downloaded Mp3tag, but i can't get it to do what's needed!
Do i save the whole excel list as a .csv or one for each folder? --i've tried to do it by folder but it only selects the mp3 from 'text file-tag' and then said it can't read the .csv file.

If i could save each track as a .zip file, containing both files for each track and then try and rename each zip file, it would help although it wouldn't rename the .mp3 and .cdg files enclosed.
Can anyone please guide me through what to do as i've been trying to do this for weeks!
cheers
Miger.

Ok stantley, thanks.
The csv looks like this:

disc001 1 Straight Up Paula Abdul
disc001 2 Faith George Michael
disc001 3 White Wedding Billy Idol
disc001 4 Missing You John Wait
disc001 5 You Keep Me Hanging On Kim Wilde
disc001 6 Nothing Compares 2 U Sinead O'connor

You need a delimiter between the fields, use a semi-colon if you can. So it should look like this:

disc001;1;Straight Up;Paula Abdul

Then in Mp3tag the format string would be:

%_directory%;%track%;%title%;%artist%

Do i have to enter the semi-colon to the files as new columns in excel and re-do the csv or edit the csv?

Re-do the CSV file. I don't have Excel so I can't give you exact directions, but see if there's a way to choose a delimiter for the file.

CSV stands for Comma Separated Values so at least it should give you something like this:

disc001,1,Straight Up,Paula Abdul

The problem with that is if you have a comma in the song title it will won't work right.

disc001;1;Straight Up;Paula Abdul
disc001;2;Faith;George Michael
disc001;3;White Wedding;Billy Idol
disc001;4;Missing You;John Wait
disc001;5;You Keep Me Hanging On;Kim Wilde

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online