1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IDE Adapter Card Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by squall_01, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

I had ordered an IDE Adapter Card, so that I could just select which OS that I wanted it too boot from. Thing is that I have four drives in it an dont think that my one on board IDE is working. Here is a link to the card I got http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=CX-VT6410 I assumed that I could just connect a drive an be able to see it in the BIOS. Thing is that I attached some that has OS installed an cant boot from them or see them in the BIOS, I did install the driver in XP that came with it, thought that it was for older OS. I am able to see a CD drive that I had attached but not the others that I want it too look at, I can see the other drives threw XP though the phsyical contents but not the acctual drive in the BOOT Order. I want it so that I can have ether one OS load or a differnt one during start up.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

4. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

So in other words that explains why I am only able to see the contents of the drive. :(

5. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

I dont really want to Flash my Bios I try to advoid that as much as possible in case something goes wrong.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Flashing the bios will not add that functionality if it is not there in the first place.

7. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

I checked the main site an it said something about if it wont boot. I'll have to look at it later though. Not near the unit ether.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Flashing the BIOS will also not add that function if the card is not Bootable. Not all IDE Controller cards are bootable, some are simply designed just to add IDE Channels.

9. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

The only thing I can do is see what it indicates. I really wasnt aware that it wasnt though thought that it would end up doing just simply that

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

11. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

No, there is a huge difference between the Batman an the Server which I said I am borrowing a 486 Card to attach the drives

12. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

I'm not being mean or anything like that its just that one is a 586 Server an the this one the Batman is a 486 pent 4 2.8 ghz cpu

13. squall_01

squall_01 Thread Starter

just going to get a new card ordered from newegg then. ended up that I got a cutomer accomidation an credited for it

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Yeah. There's a huge difference between a 486 and a 586. :rolleyes: How much money are you going to spend on these things?

And what the heck is a "Batman" computer?

15. prunejuice

prunejuice

I think he meant x86 not 486.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice