1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IDE-ATA33 Cable & a LiteON DVD/CD-RW

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Roblobob, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Roblobob

Roblobob Thread Starter

I've just built a computer but found that I was one IDE cable short. I sent out my sister to get me another IDE cable from town and she did. I noticed on the packaging that it was an IDE ATA33 cable, not the usual ATA133 I have for my hard drive. I plugged it in and it seems to read both CD's and DVD's fine (I haven't tested speeds or tried burning a CD yet), but when I boot my PC it says something like "No 80 conductor cable attached to secondary IDE" in POST.

My DVD/CD-RW drive is a LiteON 16x52x/52x32x (Mfr Num: SOHC-5232K).

Is an ATA33 cable fast enough to cope with reading DVD's at 16x and reading/writing CD's at 52x, or do I need a second ATA133 cable?

Thanks,
    Robin

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd pick up an 80 pin IDE cable, they're cheap and you'll get much better performance out of most disk drives. The DVD at 16x would be a stretch for a 40 pin cable, but that's too fast to see the details of the movie anyway! :D

3. pinntech

pinntech

Hello..

It's not a major issue with the "No 80 conductor cable attached to secondary IDE". It is basically telling you that since it cannot detect the 80 pin cable, it will not run the ATA support provided by the onboard IDE controllers.

Follow Johnwill's advice and get a different cable.

Shane

4. Roblobob

Roblobob Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Next time I order computer stuff I'll add a couple of round IDE ATA133 cables. I won't bother just yet because at the moment it works fine, although I did try "Nero CD-DVD Speed" and for the DVD I tested (a film DVD) the test failed. I get the error message, "Error! READ OF SCRAMBLED SECTOR WITHOUT AUTHENTICATION (056F03)", and for the CD I tried I get this error, "Error! L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR (031105)". Does anyone know what this means? It's odd because both the DVD and CD both run fine in the drive normally.

Thanks,
    Robin

5. JohnWill

Well, it doesn't sound good! :) I've never seen those errors, FWIW.

6. Roblobob

Roblobob Thread Starter

I posted this on another forum and someone suggested it maybe because I was using copy-protected discs and they were right :).

7. JohnWill

Could be, don't think I've ever tried to copy any protected media...

8. Roblobob

Roblobob Thread Starter

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!