Solved: IDE drive connection help pls

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

moozer

Hi all,

I'm getting a new optical drive and I need help with getting it on my system.
I already have 3 Hard Drives , Floppy, plus an existing optical drive, so all available IDE ports are used.
From both mobo connections I have 2 HD's on IDE1 and a HD & CDRW on IDE2, so is there a way of connecting and additional DVD drive to one of these?

bonk

Banned
Are you sure your power supply can handle that load.....

That should be ok if the 300 watt is a quality branded psu like Antec or Enermax.

moozer

The PSU is a Codegen brand - I'm sure this is not a greatly received PSU though.

Saying that, I've had no problems at all over the years with this PSU - it's maintained low noise.

I do have the option of removing my 3.2GB HD and having the DVD drive in it's place, surely that would be a simple swap over?

moozer

I don't know if this will help from the PSU label:

+3.3V = 14A
+5V = 30A
+12V = 10A - This seem a bit low?

depending on your power supply adding the dvd could
be pushing it.

swapping dvd for hd would keep you closer to what
you are running now.

unless you add another controller you have no
option but to do that swap anyway.

moozer

I figured that, which is why I gave myself the option of removing the little drive before I purchased the DVD drive.

I'll do that then - seems the easiest option!!

Thanks to all!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online