1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IDE Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ashim05, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ashim05

Ashim05 Thread Starter

My old Gateway laptop display wasnt working, and rather than reflowing it i just popped the hard drive out, and popped it in my Toshiba laptop because both are IDE hard drives. (Obviously the laptops are different brands but thought id give it a try.) The laptop will boot up to select my operating system but when i select the operating system it gives me a blue screen then restarts only to do the same thing over again. Im unable to see what the blue screen actually says at this moment because i cant get into windows to adjust the settings to do so.

What can i do to successfully boot into that hdd without deleting the data on the hard drive?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The Gateway most likely has an OEM version of Windows which is both illegal to use on another machine, and will have been installed specifically for the original machine. A new installation of Windows will be needed on a new machine. The old drive can be attached by an adapter to recover data. All programs will need to be reinstalled.

3. Tech_Support101

Tech_Support101

Hello Ashim05,

Would you happen to know which operating system you have installed?

If you are running the windows XP OS (operating system) then you should follow this link which will guide you through the steps to take in order to get past the continuous blue screen booting.

http://support.gateway.com/s/checklists/bpc/ck20070904113.shtml#step1

(if this doesn't work, please let me know and I will research further to see if i can help find you a solution)

Tech_Support101

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Ignore the last post.
    Not only is it illegal to transfer the OS, it is unlikely that you could get it to be stable anyway.
    Elvandil is correct.

5. Ashim05

Ashim05 Thread Starter

I have Windows 7 and vista on dual boot on that Gateway Hard Drive. I've used ubuntu to save the files i needed. So there is no way i can use the HDD in another computer to boot into windows at all?

6. saikee

saikee

My reply would be the license can be re-used in certain circumstances but the installed version in the hard disk is no good in any other PC. The hard disk itself can be salvaged, formatted and reused as a new disk if it still operates.

Every MS Windows becomes hardware dependent/specific once installed plus it is illegal to move it to a different PC with the normal OEM license.

However there is a grey area if you install the OS on anther computer from new claiming the old PC has died and a direct replacement is not possible because the model no longewr sold. As long as the original installed version is not used again M$ would activate your license once more. M$ normally permits online re-activation immediately if the last activation has lapsed a certain period, otherwise just call them and explain the situation. Personally I found M$ is more friendly than the licensing terms suggest.

Every MS Windows when connected to the Internet will report itself to M$ so adhere to the licensing agreement if you don't want you MS Windows suddenly drops dead one day without a reason.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice