1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IDE Hdd and DVD drive configuration question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by carbonrose, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carbonrose

carbonrose Thread Starter

Hi.
    I have x2 320Gig Hdds and x2 DVD burners.
    Simply put; Can I attach each Hdd to the end of each 80wire Ultra ATA cable as Master and the DVD drives as Slave. Using Jumper settings of course.
    Will the speed of the Hdd's be affected by the DVD burners lower speeds?
    I have read posts and recommendations from various sources and information is sketchy at best. Anyone have a clear and precise understanding of this. Or any links to Microsoft about it. As I have not found any topic from them at the moment addressing this choice of set-up.

Cheers.

2. Hughv

Hughv

My understanding is that this makes no difference in newer computers.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It would be better to have both the hard drives attached one as master and one as slave to primary (whether it is numbered 0 or 1) and both the optical drives attached to the secondary IDE Channel (which may be numbered 1 if the primary is numbered 0, or 2 if the primary is numbered 1). Also make sure that both of your ide cables are 40 pin 80 connector cables. Most are now days but check anyway.

With newer Motherboards with 2 IDE Channels and IDE Drives it doesn't matter as much but in the past the speed was affected

4. carbonrose

Hmm.. this hardware is about 6 years old :)
    I was drawn to this idea through an article about PageFile and its correct usage and performance increases. Where they stated that for Optimal Performance is to have the PageFile in its own partition and on a separate Hdd from the OS. Preferably on its own IDE Controller. 'Preferably' is the key word however.
    The article reads;
    If you can spare an extra Hard Disk (preferably a fast one) or if you have some free HD space on your system (again, preferably on a fast HD, and NOT on the HD that's holding the SYSTEM or DATA partitions) I'd suggest you use it for the sole purpose of the Pagefile. Remember that using another partition on the same SYSTEM or DATA HD will not improve your system's performance at all. To do that you'll need a separate fast HD, preferably connected to a different controller.
    and is from http://www.petri.co.il/pagefile_optimization.htm
    I am not sure if this matters but both Hdds will hold their own OS's. Xp Pro and Home in Dual boot mode.

5. carbonrose

I have decide to keep the setup as it already is. It works fine right now. So I'll leave well enough alone.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/843938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice