Solved: IDE to SATA adaptor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jameshpg

Hey everyone,

I am going to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo (so I can finally run Vista). I am going to get the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 motherboard. However, this board has SATA II connectors on the motherboard:

I still want to keep my old IDE hard drive but obviously it is not compatible with the new SATA connectors. Is there any way I can convert/adapt the hard drive or SATA on the motherboard so that I can connect my hard drive or will I have to buy a new SATA hard drive :eek: ?

Many thanks,

James

Attachments

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That green connector is an IDE controller, you can have two IDE devices... ;)

jameshpg

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your swift and helpful response! I see what I have to do now. One more question though; RAM-wise. I'm thinking of getting this 2gb DDR2 PC6400 from scan.co.uk for £147.63:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=255300

However, I'm wondering if its best to get 2gb of PC5400 for £128:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=291363

I noticed that the PC6400 (£147) is one of the cheapest that scan.co.uk do in their PC6400 range, whereas the PC5400 (£128) is one of the more expensive in its range. So my question is, do I go for the slower RAM (PC5400) or for the faster RAM (PC6400)?

Many thanks,

James

Its always better to go for the faster ram,
In the case of the two you posted, not sure you would notice much difference between them though.

jameshpg

Oh rite thanks bigbear. I'll go ahead with the upgrade then! Thanks to everyone for their help; MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

James

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online