1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: identify a proper download

Discussion in 'General Security' started by wolverine81, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolverine81

wolverine81 Thread Starter

Awhile back I went and downloaded google chrome and after all done I ended up with issues that wiped my systems out. How can I prevent this and properly identify a link that is safe secure and reliable from now on? Is there something in the address? I am not tech smart person so bare with me. I used this for my personal laptop using windows 7 and I thought I had good security installed.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

You have to know that maker of the software and go directly to that site. Google for the software name and you will possibly find several download sources, like CNET.. CNET is a major site for downloads, but it is not the true source. The download site might give you a link to the original maker's web site, if so, go to that site.

The thing with major download sites is that they want you to use their installer. And that installer bundles other software with the download you're looking for. That is how they make money. If you are not careful to uncheckmark the installation of unwanted bundled software (if possible), you would end up having the unwanted software installed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!