1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE 6.0.29 bug making my navigation bar off center

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by pillpusher, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pillpusher

pillpusher Thread Starter

I have a spry menu bar that works fine in mozilla, safari, and IE 7 and later versions of IE 6, but in IE 6.0.29 (and probably earlier) i'm getting an error. when the page is first opened or refreshed, the navbar is aligned left. once you hover your mouse over the navbar, it re-aligns itself to center with the page. also if you resize the browser window in earlier version of IE 6, the navbar disappears until you hover over it again. can someone help? the site is only in early stages of development, but iv'e put it in a subfolder of another site. you can see the files in the link below.

site: http://www.claxtonchurch.com/smg

style sheet: http://www.claxtonchurch.com/smg/SMGstyles.css
    alt. styles: http://www.claxtonchurch.com/smg/SpryAssets/SpryMenuBarHorizontal.css

THANKS!

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Hmmm, IE 6 6.0.29 gives you grief. I would think, by now, that release of IE 6 is old enough it would be used by the vast minority of IE 6 users. I'm inclined to simply advise not worrying about it.

Nothing jumps out at me when inspecting the HTML and CSS and it just might be an IE 6 buglet you've stumbled upon. From what you describe above, it sounds like that particular version of IE is simply not centering the menu when the page first loads. I don't have access to IE 6 anymore, let alone that particular version, so I can't do any experimentation or real investigation.

I can't be of any real assistance and I guess I'll go with my advice above of not worrying about it. You can argue that release of IE 6 is so old, the user should really upgrade to a newer browser.

Maybe someone else will have another idea or will be able to determine what the issue actually is.

Good luck. :)

Peace...

3. pillpusher

I really want to be compatible in most browsers, but if you think this version of IE is too old to worry about, then I won't worry. (Like you, I hate IE too.)

Thanks a lot!!!

4. tomdkat

I fully understand wanting as close to full browser compatibility as possible but your first post implied you tried versions of IE6 and the page rendered and behaved fine. I wouldn't worry about old versions of IE6 is newer versions of IE6 work fine. If NO version of IE6 worked, then I would feel differently. :)

Peace...

5. namenotfound

namenotfound

As long as it works in newer versions of IE6, I wouldn't worry.
    And keep in mind a lot of new computers come with Vista, rather than XP, and Vista comes with IE7. Pretty soon, IE6 might not be used at all.

6. pillpusher

7. tomdkat

Looks like an IE repaint issue involving the Spry bar. You can try another JavaScript menu bar to see if the issue goes away.

Peace...

8. pillpusher

after experimenting a lot with this page, i finally realized that i could just reload the page, and that will make my navigation bar reappear. i used the jquery script below in my <head> tag. anyone who's planning to use this "fix" needs to put the jquery.js file in a Scripts folder (or else change the first line of code below by removing the reference to the Scripts folder, and put the jquery.js file in your root folder). thanks for your help and advice tomdkat.

<script type="text/javascript" src="Scripts/jquery.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    $(window).resize(function() {
    location.reload(true)
    });
    </script>

9. tomdkat

I'm glad you found a solution. :)

Peace...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753017

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice