1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE 6 problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by catlady13, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

I have been trying to help a friend with her computer. She was having connectivity problems with her email. I found that she had only partially deinstalled Norton and zone alarm. I got rid of the remnants and her email was working perfectly. Also I had no problem at my place with her IE 6 connectivity. Her email is working at home but it seems now the only way she can get online now is through an old icon she had made through IE6 for her banking site. You must bear in mind at this point I am working with her on the phone. If she clicks on that shortcut she can connect to her bank through the internet. She cannot get anywhere else by typing in a different address other than I did manage to get her onto windows updates. I thought if we could update her IE6 SP1.. that perhaps it had become corrupted and that MIGHT solve the problem I also had thought perhaps the regular shortcut had been pointed to the wrong place so I had her try to get into IE6 by clicking on C:\ program files \ internet explorer\ iexplore.exe That didn't work either. I would have her do a sfc /scannow but she doesn't have a windows 98 cd. I may have to lend her one if anyone thinks that would help. I cannot though for the life of my understand why she should be able to get into her bank site but not any other site other than windows updates. Please does anyone have any ideas on this one? PS She has an adsl connection and I have a cable connection. But why this partial connectivity?
    Thank you ,
    Linda

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Have her reset the DSL gateway or modem by either pressing the recessed Reset button that is usually on the back with a paper clip end, or, unplug the modem for a few seconds and plug it back in. It takes a few minutes for it to complete the resetting and giving out a new IP address to the computer.

If that does not work:

Try this, but you may have to help her reset the bank site as a Trusted Site in Internet Explorer at the top of a page>Tools>Internet Options>Security>Trusted Sites. I am not sure it will affect it, but better to be prepared.

Most banks will use that type of protocol for customers going into their accounts. The site has to be entered manually in Trusted Sites, in the https://herbanksite form.

You will probably have to do this for her, I can't say.

Run Disk Cleanup, delete Temp and Temp Internet Files, all offline content, empty the Recycle Bin.

http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/win9xnetworking/ht/renewipaddrw9x.htm

It's not difficult, just Start>Run> type in: winipcfg and hit Enter key once.

Release all Renew all. Exit.

Get back here if that does not work.

3. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

HI , thank you so much for your suggestion, but I found her an answer. I hadn't worked with windows 98 in forever so I hooked up an old one I had hanging around and started going through stuff and then I remembered the repair facility in system information. It is under the tools tab. I phoned her and got her to do the repair in there and lo and behold she says it works.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, Well all is well that ends well- must have been an IE file or something... glad you fixed it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice