1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE 7 crashing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Masterman10, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Masterman10

Masterman10 Thread Starter

I am not sure this should be in this forum, but it was my best guess. I know this has been an issue for a long time and when I tried to fix it there was no fix out yet back then. What I am reffering to is when you have multiple windows open on IE 7 and you close the first one a "problem has encountered in IE 7 and it must close" which closes all of your windows. Has a fix been found for this yet?

2. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

If you have multiple IE windows open, they are all part of the same IE process. So, if the IE process has a problem and crashes ALL of the IE windows will go away when the process is gone. The only way around this is to run multiple IE processes or instances. Then, when one has a problem the other one should be untouched unless the crash is in some shared DLL that causes ALL IE process or instances to have a problem.

Do you find IE crashes for you more frequently when you have multiple windows open? About how many windows do you tend to have open when IE starts crashing? Do you have the same crash issues if you use multiple tabs instead of windows?

Peace...

3. Masterman10

If say I have a window open and click on a link and it opens a new window. Then if I close the first window the error comes up and both close. It does the same thing with tabs if I close the first tab all the tabs go. This was a big problem when IE 7 was first comming out and no one could find a fix. I am doing a checkup to see if there has been one. And the amount of windows or tabs doesn't make a diffrence when the first goes all go.

4. tomdkat

Thanks for the background. Have you been running Windows updates? If the behavior you describe was an actual IE7 issue, I imagine a Windows update would have resolved the issue by now. I would run a "Custom" Windows Update and make sure there aren't any critical or optional updates waiting.

If your system is fully patched, I'm not sure what could be causing the crashes. Have you scanned your system for viruses and spyware? Do the crashes occur when you visit any websites or just particular ones? Also, do you have any IE add-ons enabled? Maybe it's an add-on that's causing grief. I believe there's a way to disable IE's add-ons but I don't know where that is. I'm sure that info is posted in this forum somewhere. :)

Peace...

5. Masterman10

Its all up to date and the problem is multiple add-ons. A friend has informed me that microsoft just plans to fix this in version 8. So I guess I will just wait until then. If anyone has a fix that they know of I would greatly appreciate it.

6. tomdkat

Great! Glad you've identified the add-ons as the culprit. The "fix" for this is to disable ALL of your add-ons and then enable them one at a time to see if you can identify the particular one that is causing you grief. It might be one add-on or a combination of add-ons that is causing problems.

Either that or switch browsers. :D

Peace...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice