1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE and Firefox 30-40 sec load

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by trojanvundo, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trojanvundo

trojanvundo Thread Starter

Im currently running windows xp home edition 2002 sp3 pentium 4, approx 3 ghz. My computer runs/starts normal and as usual when viewing files or playing games. HOWEVER, whenever i open IE or Firefox the cpu immedietely jumps to 100% and takes 40 seconds to load. Though once the browser is loaded, internet browsing speed is as normal. I recently had problems with Jushed.exe and CFPupdate.exe taking 100% cpu and i removed comodo firewall and took care of the java update problem. Im thinking there was a possiblity it was conflicting with my firewall, but i removed it and the problem persists. What i find unusual is that BOTH browsers load very slowly and use all CPU. One guy suggested to remove any entries in Hijack this with BHO in front of them.... Any help would be greatly appreciated thank. (hope i gave enough info)

2. Brash92

Brash92

Hi,
    Try disabling all add-ons to both the browsers, set the homepage to something simple (like google), clear all cookies and temporary internet files and history.

If it still takes long time to start, try downloading a different browser (opera or google chrome) and see if the same thing happens. If the new browser loads faster, i'd suggest reinstalling Firefox and IE.

3. trojanvundo

thanks but ive already tried IE and Firefox with no add- ons and get the same result. When i say the browsers do not load i mean they do not even appear until 40 seconds later. then it starts to load the homepage (which is a very basic page like google). As to removing Firefox, i already did that to no avail. Any more suggestions.. its killing me

- oh and i forgot to mention i use CCleaner so my temps/cookies history are keep clean

4. Lance1

Lance1

Download Google Chrome Its possibly the fastest browser I have used.

5. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

try these settings
    Firefox 3 as we all know is now super quick at loading pages. But there is always room ofr improvement and best of all since Firefox is open source software there is a lot of ways that you can mod the app.

1. Type “about:config” into the address bar and hit enter. You will get a warning about changing settings but we are not doing anything too radical so it is OK. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set “network.http.pipelining” to “true”

Set “network.http.proxy.pipelining” to “true”

Set “network.http.pipelining.maxrequests” to some number like 8. This means it will make 8 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it “nglayout.initialpaint.delay” and set its value to “0″. This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.
    I have edited these and it works well

6. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger

It seems that the bolded part in the quote needs to be fixed before solving anything else.

7. trojanvundo

yes thats what i dont understand. Speeding up firefox has no effect on anything. Im thinking maybe a bad RAM chip. Remember IE is having the same effect so i think it eliminates problems with the browser.

Although i forgot to mention my computer somtimes logs off and back on saying its recovered from a serious error. I downloaded the latest updates and it seemed to fix that problem (didnt happen that often)

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Run chkdsk and scandisk and repair bad sectors.

Look in Event Viewer for "bad" entries.

There is a high probability that you are experiencing a hardware error; likely with either your disk or your memory.

9. trojanvundo

ok i ran chdisk and it fixed some problems on the second index.
    Next i did a scandisk on the Cdrive with the repair bad entries checked.

It didnt give me a log after it finished so i went to Event Viewer like you said and here is the log for my system. Im not very knowledgable of what the errors mean.

Attached Files:

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Did you shut off the reg cleaner functions in ccleaner when you ran it?

11. trojanvundo

no... how do you do that? i thought the reg cleaner function in Ccleaner wasnt always running

edit- im starting to notice other programs taking longer to load and using 100 cpu also
    - im also adding a hijackthis log (maybe it will shed some light on the sit.)

Attached Files:

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

UH oh, no you have to open that tab and uncheck all registry cleaning functions and I'm afraid without doing it that program has blown out another system. There is no recovery I know of from running a reg cleaner except reformat and reinstall Windows. While XP repair used to work sometimes, where you boot to XP cd and choose the second "R" for Repair, lately I am seeing it makes the system worse. Sorry to offer no other solution but reg cleaners screw up registry beyond belief mostly and I have never seen anything that could fix that damage myself.

13. Lance1

Lance1

Why not go into the registry backup in Ccleaner and restore to a later date?

14. trojanvundo

... i used to have a backup for the registry like 2 months old from Ccleaner but i deleted it and the most recent backup i have is probably only a week old....

any suggestions...
    what happened when i ran scandisk with ccleaner reg on?

15. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Nothing. To the best of my knowledge you must explicitly invoke CCleaner (the exception being the Settings option to run CCleaner when the computer starts).

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/829500

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice