Solved: IE Crashes, Firefox google search redirects - Hijackthis log attached

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

malkanij

I am writing to request for help with some spyware/malware on our computer running Windows XP SP3.

Some of the major symptoms are:

1. Whenever Internet Explorer is opened, it immediately crashes with an error signature such as:
Appname: iexplore.exe Appver:7.0.6000.16705 ModName: entapi.dll
Mod/ver: 8.0.0.240 offset:0000368

2. Whenever we use Firefox do a google search the result link is redirected to another website. For example, the top result of the search for hijack this is redirected to
http://go.google.com/?u=Qu3CZzPQvSI...GkDysKI_TRAAjoSuckloNe=s?php.c/711.691.111.46

I have run adaware, spybot, avg anti-virus and ccleaner on the computer and although these tools have removed a lot of ad cookies and some bad registry entries such as
‘HKEY_users\S-1-5-21-927213679-3701-77400-4173190044-1006\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges’; the core problem remains.

After reading the posts on this list, I believe the best option is for the experts to review the hijackthis logs, so I have run the utility and attached the logs with this email.

Any help you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks much.

Attachments

malkanij

Ok, I read some more posts on this list and gathered that one of the recommended actions was to run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which I did. To my pleasant surprise, the software did catch and clean a lot of threats. Attached is the log file before cleaning.

Now IE does start without crashing, but as soon as it opens it is redirected to some spam website. This is despite the fact that the home page is set to google. So that tells me that the malware is still residing on my system somewhere.

I re-ran hijack this after running ‘Malwarebytes Anti-Malware’ and have attached the latest logs.

Looking for some expert guidance ... help is appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online