1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE Folder won't go away

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by grumblebum, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grumblebum

grumblebum Thread Starter

I have permanently on the desktop Internet Explorer box similar to the one when you drill down from My Computer. The box has nothing in it but the taskbar/toolbar are off the screen therefore I can't shut it down, it doesn't respond to left or right clicks and other desktop ikons can be moved over it, I've tried creating another folder and copying everything from the original so that the original can be deleted and hopefully get rid of the problem but it won't let me copy all the files.
    All help gratefully accepted

2. kniht

kniht

Not quite sure what you are tying to get across here. Are you saying you have a yellow folder icon on your desktop named Internet Explorer? Is the folder open so you can see it's contents? When you right click on it a context menu doesn't open?

How were you able to copy the files from that folder to a new folder? Have you tried increasing your resolution to see if the off screen items are visible? Is it possible to upload a screenshot of your desktop?

Sorry to ask so many questions but at my age I'm easily confused. :)

3. techychick

techychick

I too do not quite understand what you mean, can you post a screenshot?

Have you done recent virus/malware scans?

4. grumblebum

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for replying. I don't have ayellow folderon my desktop, it looks like the window you get when you launch Windows Explorer. I created a new folder 'Internet Explorer 1' and copied the contents of the Internet Explorer in Windows Explorer, the window on the desktop seems to be a dummy as nothing happens when either the left or right mouse button is clicked, and yes I recently scanned with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and the problem surfaced after the scan, I tried all other screen resolutions to see if the control thingys would come into view but that didn't work either.
    Screenshot is attached.
    Thanks again.

5. grumblebum

Dont think the screen shot got through so heres hoping this one does.

Attached Files:

6. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

grumblebum, Go to the link below and download the "XP_CommonTasks.exe" file which is a zip file.

To use: Download the XP_CommonTasks.zip file and save it to your hard drive Locate and double-click the file you just saved and extract XP_CommonTasks.exe. Double click XP_CommonTasks.exe to run the utility. You will need to log off/log on or reboot for the change to take effect. There is no install/uninstall. Simply delete the EXE file to remove it.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm

You could also go to the link below and scroll down to line 15 (left column) and click on "Remove Common Tasks from the Desktop" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Either of the above will correct your problem so take your pick.

Tufenuf

7. grumblebum

Thanks Tufenuf, I've done as you suggested but there is no change, I tried it again and get the message: 'The value below is correct, no repairs needed' a string of charecters and letters are in the same message box.
    :confused:

8. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

grumblebum, Try the reg file fix from the kellys site and post back.

Tufenuf

9. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    just sidetracking here for a minute. You say other icons can be moved over it? can they be placed on it? Is there a chance someone could have 'made' this as wall paper and placed it there in some kind or pratical joke? especiall if you are experiencing no other problems.

10. grumblebum

Tried the Kelly site fix and still the same Tufenuf.
    Hi, Muppy03, ikons can be placed on it but are semi transparent when there, the problem wasn't there before my malware scan but appeared after it, I'm the only user of the machine and all others who could possibly have access are computer virgins. The computer is in a shed in the middle of a paddock in the middle of nowhere!
    Thanks again.

11. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

grumblebum, Try the following: Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab and uncheck "Restore previous folder window at logon", click Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

12. grumblebum

I initially moved the ikons from over the problem window where they were, and as I said in last post, transparent. I just tried moving them over it again and can only move them in to the white portion of the window where they sit in line like a regular drag and drop and cannot be placed upon the blue part except, when I right click and click on 'arrange ikons' then they cover the blue part and overlap onto the desk top and are no longer semi transparent

13. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    I suppose you have rebooted in all of this.? Ok one last relativley non technical thing tro try. While back daughter had weird icons sort of like cut in half that none of the usual icon fiixes fixed. Anyway the answer was a matter of simply letting windows re-recognsise the icons and was done in desktop settings, Might be worth a shot and cant hurt anything if it doesnt work

right click desktop- go into properties and choose appearance tab then select the advanced tab. In the item box desktop is probably already showing, if not select it from dropdown box. The only choice for change is the colour - select a new colour (you can change it back afterwards) click ok then apply. This will make windows re -recognise the desktop.

As I said worth a shot and cant hurt.

14. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

grumblebum, If you try my reply #11 restart your computer. Another thing to try is to right click your desktop, choose Properties, under the Desktop tab click the Customize Desktop button, under the Web tab uncheck everything, click OK/Apply/OK.

Tufenuf

15. grumblebum

(y) BINGO Tufenuf, Your last suggestion worked a treat, many thanks for everyones help I am now :).
    Best regards
    Grumblebum

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755046

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice