1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE freaking out over security "problems"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pcguy9441, Mar 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I'm looking for help in getting IE 8 to lighten up a bit.

I'm resurecting an old Core2-Duo machine that had a corrupt OS, so I just reinstalled a fresh Win7 HP/64. I got it activated after a couple tries, it boots and all seems well.

The problem is IE8 is so paranoid, every site including the MS upgrade site flags security risks and content is blocked. For example:

"There is a problem with this website's security certificate" - the MS site when I try to upgrade IE8 to 11. I can't upgrade anything.

Yahoo.com and google.com yield the same thing. I can not download Chrome which I usually use. The internet link is fine.

I have relaxed everything I can find in IE's settings including checking the box that says "allow active content to run in files...." and "allow software to run even if the signature is invalid....".

Further, when I ran the "Fix it" function MS led me to when I clicked "trouble shooting problems with installing updates", "Fix it" hung PC and I had to kill the process after waiting 30min.

Have never seen this ever in 20 yrs of using Windows. The initial Win7 install went in without a glitch.

Thanks for any ideas.

BTW: Windows is "OEM System builder pack", on it's 2nd install on the same machine, but is registered, so that should not mater, right?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the brand name and model name and complete model number of that resurrected computer?

How exactly and what did you use to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit in it?

---------------------------------------------------------

You should get the Windows operating system completely up-to-date and make sure all devices are working BEFORE you install a bunch of programs, etc. in that computer.

----------------------------------------------------------

3. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

I just went to security->trusted sites and set it to minimum with no change.

It's a home-brew system with a GByte GA-G41MT-ES2L mobo and a E6700 core2duo 2.66Gig chip. 4Gigs of RAM. It was in a cardboard box for a year after I used the case and PSU for a new i5 build a year ago. I got a new case for $25 and brought this one back to life in the hopes of Cragslisting it. Probably a lost cause since I won't get $40 for it. I did have it running well at 3.2G back in it's day however. It's a decent machine.

Like I said, the Win7 is from the original Win7 Home Prem OEM system builders disc that I installed on it originally. I had problems with activation - it would not take the code - so I had to go to the MS 800# where you enter in the mile long series of numbers he reads to you from the phone and it registered fine then.

When I fired it up before the OS reinstall, I did a lot of reformatting and wiping of the logical partitions and somehow broke the OS. It would boot but I could not open any folders, thus the fresh reinstall over the same partition.

It's also got an XP active partition on a 2nd physical drive (2 physical drives) I don't plan to use and plan to reformat once I find out how. Since it's got an OS on it, Windows wont' let me reformat it. That's a separate issue. I guess I can do it from command prompt window using DOS?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've done hundreds of Windows clean installs over the years, but only in computers with a single physical hard drive, and I always format it into a single partition.

I've never owned nor worked on a computer with 2 physical hard drives and with 2 different Windows versions, so I'm out of my league there.

---------------------------------------------------------

5. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

ok, thanks. Maybe I'll try a Windows repair. it seems IE is broken. If I could only get Chrome installed, I'd be good to go as I seldom use IE.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome, and good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------

7. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Problem solved. The date was wrong. It was at 2009something. I assumed that since the time is internet synced the date was too. Brought it current and now IE is working fine. Often the more bizarre the problem, the more head-slapping the solution.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    One thing I always do during or after a clean install of Windows is to make sure the time and date and time zone are all correct.

Anyway, glad to hear you got it resolved.

-------------------------------------------------------

9. pcguy9441

pcguy9441 Thread Starter

Yes, lesson learned.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!