1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE is the culprit or my settings ? please read-

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by timothye, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

HI , i noticed to day that when ever i download a file , it doesnt matter what the file type is , zip , exe . etc ..
    when i use IE and save the file , it doesnt appear where i saved it
    #2 if i run the exe from the server it never starts ..
    when i use fire fox everything is normal ...file /run and save/ ..

any ideas .. i have reset IE , but no changes ..
    cheers
    T

2. unbidden

unbidden

Just a few thoughts:
    Have you tried looking in the other user accounts for the files? (C:\Documents and Settings\Xuser nameX

Are you sure IE isn't blocking the download?

Run a search on the file in question.

3. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

hi ,
    there arent any other user accounts . and the files are not opening / run . and if i choose the toption to save then save the exe . or zip file and save it to the desktop of in a folder , after the download completes , there isnt anything there .. very strange .

any more suggestions . cheers

4. unbidden

unbidden

So you are saying that the files are there and do run when downloaded using FireFox?

5. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

yes ..
    its something with IE .. when i download anything it isnt there and the same thing if i RUN if from the server .. nothing starts ( exe ( very very strange ..
    some setting has changed , and i dont know what it is .. ahh my growing pains of learning a new OS ..
    :)

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

7. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

thanks rollin rog ..
    i tried your suggestion and i still have the same problem ..
    this is very strange it seems that i cannot download , / run / save /anything using IE ..
    but it still works in fire fox ..
    I'm not sure which settings to check now to have this function normal ...?

update .. i checked if i could right click on a website image using IE and save as . this works , but anything i try to run or save as in a -> zip , 7z, rar ,exe , its not working .. i ahve reset IE , but i dont know how to reset default file associations in Vista .. maybe this could be it , the file association is not correct .?
    just a thought .

CHeers T ,:)
    And im in Europe so there is a time difference in posting times , took me a while to respond :)

8. unbidden

unbidden

I know you re-set IE, but just to be sure - In IE - Internet Options - Security - Custom level - be sure there is a tic in File download | Enable.

9. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

yes i ahve been there and made sure it was all ok .
    but still the same problem .. this is starting to be a frustrating problem ..

anymore suggestions ..?
    T

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Confirm this is the method you used to reset IE >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/06/12/628499.aspx

When you use the left click method, are you always presented with the opportunity to select a "save to"/download location, and does the file type ever make a difference? If not, you probably need to use this method to reset the association >> http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...ning-this-type-of-file-check-box-in-vista-ie/

Is IE set as your "default" browser?

In the Control Panel > Default Programs > Internet Explorer, set the program to open all file types and protocols it can open by default.

Finally, when did the problem first begin?

There is always the option to test "System Restore" on it. You can reverse a restore (one made in normal mode), with no loss of data or settings if it isn't helpful.

11. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

thanks again ..

your first link rolling rog , yes that is how i set IE .
    as for the second link .i dont have have this AttachmentExecute key in registry

any other ideas ,?
    i really want to get to the bottom of this .
    cheers T

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Do you always get the option to specify a download location?

And is IE your default browser? I don't believe the "reset" method actually resets this option if you have assigned another browser as your default.

Can you test the issue in Safe Mode with Networking Support?

And I would not hesitate to test out System Restore on this -- it really shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes to confirm if you choose a date when you know the problem did not exist.

13. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

yes i can always specify the download location ..
    IE is the default browser .
    havent tested in safe mode . will do that now and be right back ..
    restore .. HMmm i dont know if i like the sound of that .. i generally stay away from restore's and re-installs-- there must be a way to fix this .:)
    Cheers T

14. timothye

timothye Thread Starter

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice