Solved: IE opens very slowly

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

inetbogey

Hi Guys,
looked through the posts on this forum and on the Networking forum. could not find an answer to why my IE 6 opens very slowly every time i click on the icon. (about 5 min) To change a web page is much faster but still not what it was before this problem.
i have a PIII 1gig running windows 2000 pro with 512 meg of ram.
i have not downloaded anything or installed anything for at least 2 weeks before this started.
i have run ccleaner, spybot, adaware and a virus check
on the day this started i went back a day and that didn't help
on my network i run a static IP address and i re inputed the IP address for my DNS servers
thanks for any help.
inetbogey.

inetbogey

thanks blues_harp28,
i don't have the IE repair option. just the removal.
i tried the FixIE . it helped some what. it now takes just under 2 min to load the google home page.
i also tried lspfix and that did not help.
i ran belarc adviser and all patches and updates are good.

blues_harp28

Have you cleaned Temp files etc?
In Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options
General tab.
Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
Include all offline content.
Delete Cookies.
Under History
Click Clear History.

Did you allow Ccleaner to clean the Registry?
If yes undo any changes it made.

inetbogey

Hi Guys,
thanks Rich-M, blues_harp28 has recommended the "fix" tool. But it did not work.
I have deleted the "cookies, temp files and History.
Now when i go to some sites i get an error msg that causes the browser to restart.
you know the one about "caused an error do you want to report this to Microsoft?"

I am no expert but I recently experienced the same problem with Internet Explorer taking a very long time to load. Tried my wife's computer and same problem. Then I placed my cursor on the two talking computers in the system tray and noticed I had a connection speed of 2.4 kbs when it was usually 28.9 kbs for a dial up connection. ISP couldn't resolve so I went to Broadband and now have 54mbs.

inetbogey

Hi Guys,
i have put 12 hrs into this problem.
i have gone from making it worse to doing an OS repair. then getting into Microsoft because all of a sudden my key code didn't work.
anyway .......... when i finished the repair, IE worked fine (like it always did)
then i downloaded the updates and i am right back to where i was 12 hrs ago.
like i said before, i run windows 2000 pro, does anyone else have this problem with IE 6 sp1??
i am now convinced that it is one of the updates that created this problem.
i have my PC set to download and install the updates on it's own.

You are going to have to do repair again and this time go into Control Panel and shut off Auto Update.

inetbogey

So I stayed away from the problem for about 8 hrs. then started from the beginning.
i ran the IE fix tool, i ran the dial-a-fix tool, then i unchecked the "enable 3rd party browser ext."
after all that, IE opened normally. like it did before.
So i wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the good info and help.
i would say that it was the combination of the "repair" and the above mentioned that cleared the problem.
I will mark this post solved.

again,
thanks everyone.
inetbogey

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online