1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE Settings

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Money Pit, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Try this problem. I have Win.Me. with IE version 5.50.4807.2300
    For example: When I'm in one chat room and try to leave that room open and go to another one, the first room closes. I can't have 2 chat rooms open and listed in my lower tool bar at the same time. I used to be able to do this but after a recent reformat, I can't do it anymore? Suspect a browser setting is messed up?
    I can however keep this site open and my web home page at the same time. Does THIS make any sense to anyone? Thanks Dave.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

try right clicking and choosing open in another window... also... if you are using a pop up stopper it will also interfere with links working .

3. Dark Star

Dark Star

You can try the IE Repair............

In the Control Panel find the Add/Remove programs then find and select the IE 5.05 and tools, click on the add/remove, and in the drop down menu select Repair IE, you will then be prompted to reboot.

DS

4. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Worked like a charm Dark Star. All is well now Thanks a bunch. consider this thread closed. Dave

5. Dark Star

Dark Star

Dave, You're welcome....:D

DS

6. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    WAIT: Now it's not working again Dark Star. I repaired IE 5.5 yesterday and it worked fine. To day it's not working, tried repair again, still not working? I was going to go back to a previous version like 5.0, but the prompt says "Do I want to remove IE"? I'm afraid if I say yes, my IE will be deleted and I won't be able to go online to get it back. Don't want to use the CD if I don't have to.
    Do you know anywhere to download IE 5.0? and if so do I need to delete 5.5 before installing 5.0? THanks Dave.

7. buf

buf

Dave:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/recommended/ie501sp2/default.asp
    The above site will get you to MS download of IE5.01SP2, my browser for about a year now. I even had IE5.50 for a few days but went to old faithful. You can probably get to most IE downloads through the above link. IE5.01SP2 and IE5.50 were the last two versions of IE before IE6.x was made available.
    I would consider creating a work folder on your hard drive and name it Dave Folder, or whatever you want, download and save whichever IE you decide on and then install the IE from that folder AFTER removing or attempting to repair your IE5.50. Keep this in mind--if you have EITHER of the two MOST recent IE versions on your system, then when you do the Control Panel>Add/Remove/Repair thing, you can go back to the previous version of IE you HAD BEFORE. I DO NOT think it will go back to any IE before the IE5.01SP2. Hopefully someone else will jump in on this. Good luck to you and I wish you success.
    (I had a much better reply for you already to send but then I hit refresh to make sure no one had posted some of the same "stuff" I wrote and I lost that reply--:confused: I won't do that again!!)

8. Dark Star

Dark Star

Dave,

I would do as buf suggested

You can get IE5.01SP2 and dowload it to a folder for you to get to and not feel as though tou might wind up without any IE version at all.

Ds

9. Money Pit

Money Pit Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dave
    Sorry Dark Star Those programs lited above are not FULL IE versions. This problem is NOT worth the hassel. Consider this thread closed. Thanks fer Everyones help. Dave.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice