1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE Text Size / Scrolling Issue

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Geli, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geli

Geli Thread Starter

This may not be the right forum to post this (could be games or security) but here goes...

I recently purchased a video game, Madden 07, from EA via a direct download. When I install the game something goes wrong with my PC. All the text and image sizes on internet explorer are tiny, and scrolling is very clunky. When I go to text size in the toolbar, it is set on smallest. I attempt to adjust this to medium, but the screen quickly blinks to medium and goes right back to smallest. Also, when I hit Start and go to all programs, I have a lot of trouble just hovering the mouse over something. Instead of highlighting the item in blue as it should, it kind of blinks...as if Im moving to mouse to it and away from it rapidly.

I used system restore to return my pc to a checkpoint prior to when I installed the game and it's fine. I then did a virus scan and spyware scan prior to downlaoding the game again, and as soon as the download is complete it goes right back to the same problems. First I installed the game, and then uninstalled and reverted to a previous checkpoint in system restore. I then tried just downloading the game and not installing it, but that also messed everything up again.

The one thing I have noticed is that when I go into system restore, the one event that is logged after I downloaded or installed the game is "DirectX Installed". Can this issue be somehow linked to directx?

I have had this isue before and always assumed it happened from picking up some sort of spyware on the internet. I'd then use antivirus and spy sweeper, which would work for a while but sometimes the problem would return. System Restore would always solve the issue for good. Unfortunately, this time the issue seems to be directly linked with downloading this game...which I got from EA directly and I have paid for. And of course, if I use system restore I don't get the game.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

2. Augie65

Augie65

Start> Run> type: dxdiag then hit OK.
    This will give the version of DirectX. You can click on the Display tab and run the
    test for Direct3D. Look under Notes for information on troubleshooting.

3. Geli

Geli Thread Starter

Thanks for the response, will give that a shot when I get home. Has anyone ever encountered a similar issue? Does this seem like it could be a directx problem? I'm just curious as I've had this issue before and it gets very annoying.

4. Geli

Geli Thread Starter

One more thing I forgot to mention. Often when this image/text size, scrolling problem is going on, I have a lot of difficulty typing. Either it'll skip spaces on its own, or type strange characters. I think it only happens when I'm typing online, such as in google or wherever. Anyhow, if anyone is familiar with this issue I thought that might help in isolating what the probelm is. Thanks.

5. Geli

Geli Thread Starter

I was about to write that I attempted to test direct3D and it kept telling me that I cancelled it because I pressed a button (I pressed nothing). Anyhow, I was trying to type it and it was impossible to type...weird characters were typing themselves, and all of a sudden a Logitech program opened. Anyhow, I have a logitech wireless mouse and keyboard. I shut off the logitech program in my system tray and all of a sudden probelm solved. For whatever reason something was happening in logitech to make my mouse and keyboard go nuts...resulting in the text size in explorer to always be set on smallest. It's as if the mouse wheel was rapidly rolling down on its own. Anyhow problem solved I guess, but does anyone know why this would happen? Thanks.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice