1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE "times out" after 4 to 5 minutes, have to re-start to gain more time.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sjajdld, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sjajdld

sjajdld Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222 A
    Upgrade using Full OEM CD /T:C:\WININST0.400 /SrcDir=D:\WIN98 /IE /NF /IZ /IS /IQ /IT /II /NR /II /C /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
    Uptime: 0:00:08:30
    Normal mode

AuthenticAMD AMD Duron(tm) processor
    152MB RAM
    90% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (2554MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 2554MB of 4110MB (FAT32)

*** I run the " Tango " ( Stinger/Adaware/spybot S&D)

*** Ok...here goes :( My IE "times out" after being on-line for only 4 to 5 minutes. I am still "on-line" and can access Yahoo and AOL IM's with no interruptions or troubles. However, after the initial 4 to 5 minutes of browseing, I can no longer access any web pages. I receive the "Page cannot be displayed" error/message screen below:

The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
    If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
    If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
    click Detect Network Settings
    Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
    If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
    Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
    Internet Explorer

*** In order to return to browseing, I have to re-start my computer and again get a 4 to 5 minute session. This can go on forever....... I have run all the spycheckers (tango) and nothing seems to pop up...no "bugs"...nothing. If I am logged into Yahoo games (Euchre) I can play allllllll night long if I want with no trouble as long as I do not leave the "game room" If I do I get the "page cannot be displayed" error and have to re-start again. I had this happen to me once before about a year ago and no one seemed to be able to help me with this. Then after about 3 weeks and losing some hair, I ended up fixing my problem.......trouble is, I can't recall how/what I did to fix it....LOLOLOL :( If I recall correctly, it was something very simple !!! I am also including my last Hijackthis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 7:26:18 AM, on 1/26/07
    Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS.000\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://home.netscape.com/home/winsearch200.html
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://keyword.netscape.com/keyword/%s
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by ZDNet
    R3 - URLSearchHook: AOLTBSearch Class - {EA756889-2338-43DB-8F07-D1CA6FB9C90D} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL\AOL TOOLBAR 2.0\AOLTB.DLL (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: AOL Toolbar Launcher - {7C554162-8CB7-45A4-B8F4-8EA1C75885F9} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL\AOL TOOLBAR 2.0\AOLTB.DLL (file missing)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YT.DLL (file missing)
    O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,[email protected],&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O3 - Toolbar: AOL Toolbar - {DE9C389F-3316-41A7-809B-AA305ED9D922} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL\AOL TOOLBAR 2.0\AOLTB.DLL (file missing)
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS.000\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS.000\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &AOL Toolbar Search - c:\program files\aol\aol toolbar 2.0\resources\en-US\local\search.html
    O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
    O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YPAGER.EXE (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
    O9 - Extra button: AOL Toolbar - {3369AF0D-62E9-4bda-8103-B4C75499B578} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AOL\AOL TOOLBAR 2.0\AOLTB.DLL (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_05\bin\npjpi150_05.dll (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS.000\web\related.htm
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS.000\web\related.htm

*** I do not have the cd of my Win98 anymore, so I am unable to try reinstalling. I have also tried uninstalling/reinstalling TCPI/IP through my ISP support team by enabling DNS to no avail. They too, seem to be at a loss as to what my problem may be. Please help if you can :) !!! Thanking you, in advance, for help anyone may have :)

*** [email protected]

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi and welcome to TSG.
    You need to have an Anti-virus program running in the background. [Stinger does not]
    Run an online virus scan.
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com
    D/load Avg. http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2

In IE>tools>internet options>General tab.
    Clear cookies>temp files>history.
    Security and Privacy>click Default.
    Advanced>tick..Do not save encrypted page to disk.
    Programs>reset Web settings.

Your Win 98 should have been installed in C:\windows\system
    Not C:\windows.000\system
    Adding more Ram would help.
    Let us know if running online virus scan helps.

3. sjajdld

sjajdld Thread Starter

I did the on-line virus scan and it turned up absolutely nothing. How can or do I put the Windows 98 on C:\windows\system instead of the C:\windows.000\system ??? I still am getting the limited amount of browseing time before I have to restart for another 4 to 5 minutes...

As for the AVG...I had it on my computer once before and had nothing but problems with it. For that reason, I'd rather not go down that road again consdiering I'm having enough trouble already :)

4. bandit429

bandit429

Have you tried to repair I E 6? Go to start then run and copy then paste the following in the run box.....see if you can get the repair option.....do not uninstall.

rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt

5. sjajdld

sjajdld Thread Starter

I did the IE repair (yet again) and still have the same trouble as in the beginning. Have to restart to gain more time to web sites... :( Does anyone else know why or how my Win 98 was installed to the C:\windows.000\system instead of to C:\windows\system and how do I correct this ? Any help at all is greatly appreciayed :) Thanks !!!

6. bandit429

bandit429

Im sorry I did nt see that you had tried the repair. Perhaps you could tell us everything you have tried.

7. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi check suggestions at.
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/16.html
    Unless you reinstall your Win98 will have to stay in C:\Windows.000\system
    Not having an Anti-virus program running in the background will only add to you problem.
    Avg not the only Av out there.

8. sjajdld

sjajdld Thread Starter

Ok, well... This all started after I originally was "cleaning out" my system. I tend to think I know more than I actually do, as far as computers go, lol :( It started with me getting a screen saying IExplorer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. This would happen upon starting up the computer....everything would "load" fine until it got to my desktop. Then all I would get is a blank screen with the error message that Explorer has caused a error in page fault...module something or other. I couldn't even get on to see my icons or anything at all. So I....thinking I am smart...decided to "fix" this myself. I tried to restore an older IE by starting through hitting F8 and changing a few things.
    I went to step by step confirmation to load everything. That didn't work, I tried safe mode, didn't work. I tried command prompt and that is where I ended up "fixing" the IE problem. I typed in scanreg and did a scan and saved it. It said it may have been corrupted and wanted me to restore an older IE which I did. The trouble seemed fixed. I restarted and all was fine...except it was very strange old settings...fonts, color, settings, etc. I tried to change all of that by going into control panel and display settings....nothing worked. I made it worse. Sooooooo...I went back and decided to pick ANOTHER IE that was saved in the scanreg F8 screen thing...I restored that version and that must have been the one I was having the same type of trouble I am having now. This is when my "timing out" all started. I tried to go back and restore the other one from before and all that was there was the recent versions I did/had...nothing older. So...my problem is now that I have the old IE saved scanreg that gave me trouble about a year ago. I can't recall what I did to correct it either. It was something very simple...but extremely frustrating. I have tried the IE repair and all I have mentioned b4:

*** Ok...here goes My IE "times out" after being on-line for only 4 to 5 minutes. I am still "on-line" and can access Yahoo and AOL IM's with no interruptions or troubles. However, after the initial 4 to 5 minutes of browseing, I can no longer access any web pages. I receive the "Page cannot be displayed" error/message screen below:
    The page cannot be displayed
    The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

*** In order to return to browseing, I have to re-start my computer and again get a 4 to 5 minute session. This can go on forever....... I have run all the spycheckers (tango) and nothing seems to pop up...no "bugs"...nothing. If I am logged into Yahoo games (Euchre) I can play allllllll night long if I want with no trouble as long as I do not leave the "game room" If I do I get the "page cannot be displayed" error and have to re-start again. I had this happen to me once before about a year ago and no one seemed to be able to help me with this. Then after about 3 weeks and losing some hair, I ended up fixing my problem.......trouble is, I can't recall how/what I did to fix it....LOLOLOL If I recall correctly, it was something very simple !!!
    *** I do not have the cd of my Win98 anymore, so I am unable to try reinstalling. I have also tried uninstalling/reinstalling TCPI/IP through my ISP support team by enabling DNS to no avail. They too, seem to be at a loss as to what my problem may be. Please help if you can !!! Thanking you, in advance, for help anyone may have

I did the on-line virus scan and it turned up absolutely nothing. How can or do I put the Windows 98 on C:\windows\system instead of the C:\windows.000\system ??? I still am getting the limited amount of browseing time before I have to restart for another 4 to 5 minutes...
    As for the AVG...I had it on my computer once before and had nothing but problems with it. For that reason, I'd rather not go down that road again consdiering I'm having enough trouble already

I did the IE repair (yet again) and still have the same trouble as in the beginning. Have to restart to gain more time to web sites... Does anyone else know why or how my Win 98 was installed to the C:\windows.000\system instead of to C:\windows\system and how do I correct this ? Any help at all is greatly appreciayed Thanks !!!

So now, here I am...what to do next ? I would love to just ditch this, but I'm not in a position to just go buy a whole new computer. ( I have an 18 y/o daughter who is a senior...college this Fall....she's getting a laptop, nuff said !!!!) Any help at all is greatly appreciated :)

I am back to square one..........where ever that may be ! ???????

9. sjajdld

sjajdld Thread Starter

10. bandit429

bandit429

The reason windows is in the 000 folder is because there has been an overinstall and 98 tries to create that folder which it did instead of overinstalling to the orginal 98 location.
    Blues is right...without the 98cd your probably out of luck on that one.

However this should not be the cause of your browsing problem....I ll be thinking on it and maybe someone who has an idea will pop in and post it.

11. bandit429

bandit429

Have you tried resetting your router? Have you tried another browser such as firefox and do you use incredimail?
    EDIT:
    I see you use netscape and aol also...what do they do?
    Have you tried reinstalling AOL?

12. sjajdld

sjajdld Thread Starter

Yep...been through netscape...mozilla...firefox...etc....does the same type of thing with all of them. It's funny that it happened again and still the same as the last time...no one knows how to fix it ! I knew I should have saved those papers a littleeeeee bit longer :( I just recently threw them out, doing a double take at them, and thought....Nah I won't need this again :( Ughhhhhhhhhh

13. bandit429

bandit429

Have you tried reinstalling AOL? Have you tried resetting your router? Also if your original problem was solved here it would still be here in your orginal screen name.

And try the link just below.
    http://www.lhric.org/web/echalk/docs/timingout.pdf

14. sjajdld

sjajdld Thread Starter

Not sure I know how to reset my router....? I don't have aol for internet...just my daughter uses the aol instant messageing and that is working just fine, same as my yahoo instant messenger.

15. sjajdld

sjajdld Thread Starter

And no...it was not through this site that I fixed it before...not that I recall. I tried to enter other emails addresses to see if I had a different username...but it didn't recognize any of them.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice