1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE window opens TINY!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Steve Farr, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steve Farr

Steve Farr Thread Starter

Seeking "expert" assistance! My IE shortcut windows open teeny-tiny, the size of a toolbar in lower-right quadrant of screen. I have tried stretching it full then closing it full, it opens tiny; deleted the shortcut, remade shortcut from full window, still opens tiny; tried opening a 2nd window, stretching that window and closing #2 first then #1, shortcut still opens tiny! So now I am ready for the "FIX", so please advise and assist. Thank you all. Steve F.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Close all IE windows and open the run command (Windows Key + R) and type regedit traverse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main In the right pan locate "Window_Placement" and delete that entry. Close regedit and reopen IE.

3. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Try this one first. It is never advisable to edit the registry if there's an alternative, as doing so incorrectly can seriously damage your machine.

From http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/ietips.htm

• Close all instances of Internet Explorer except for one.
    • Right-click on a link in the page and select: "Open in New Window"
    • Close the first browser window using the [ X ] (upper right corner)
    • Resize the window manually by dragging the sides to the desired size.
      Note: Do NOT click the Maximize button, you must do it manually.
    • Hold down the Ctrl key and click the Close button (upper right)
    If this fails it may indeed be necessary to edit the registry. I would however advise using a reg file rather than regedit for this task. If so download the attached zip file. Open it, right click on the reg file inside, and click merge.

Attached Files:

4. Lance1

Lance1

Although your method works on occasion I found it not to be 100%. the "Window_Placement" entry will be recreated to default settings. In my experience this has not failed me.

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    The times when it doesn't work presumably correspond to the corruption mentioned in the article I linked, for which the registry file in my zip is the fix. While the reg fix may indeed be more likely to succeed it is still safer to try the version that doesn't involve messing with the innards of your machine first.

6. Lance1

Lance1

You are right in that getting a inexperienced user to access the registry can be precarious. Your reg file does exactly what I described in my post and removes the error factor.

7. Steve Farr

Steve Farr Thread Starter

Hello "ENT", and your FIX did indeed work perfectly for me, thank you. I agree that I would not want to access and edit the Registry, not knowing what I'm doing in there, that is better left to those who are comfortable in there! Thanks to you, Lance1 and ALL who post here to help others who are not Tech-savvy! Steve in Sacramento.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice