Solved: IE won't install & Desktop Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robhic

Robert
I don't know how this happened but somehow I lost IE from my desktop. OK, I go to the MS site and download a new copy. It won't install! I did an "Add/Remove Programs" and removed IE (I thought..) and tried again.

I keep getting a message telling me that a previous version of IE needs to complete some incomplete operation (I thought it was gone?) so the system needs rebooting before the new version I have will install. I have booted and rebooted about 8 times at this point but I cannot get IE to re-install without getting that message.

I tried System Restore but that keeps telling me the restore points I choose have not been restored and for me to try another date and restore from that one. Well, I've done that about 4-5 times with no success.

And I wasn't even having problems! I was just doing some cleanup and I get this. I am running XP Home on a Dell Dimension 3.0Gb 512Mb RAM.

Oh, and the little shortcut arrows on the desktop programs are showing where they didn't use to show. I can't find how I eliminated them previously 'cause I don't want them showing.

Any pointing in the right direction is appreciated.

Robert

robhic

Robert
I figured this one out after some more thought. The IE problem was caused by the cleanup process. It is very misleading! You check the boxes "to add or remove programs" -- huh?! Do you check to add or check to remove?

Well, you check to add or keep programs and un-check to remove the programs! Well, going back into the cleanup application and checking IE put that sucker back on my desktop. One down.

The shortcut icon arrows were removed using TweakUI utility that had somehow gottne removed. Re-installing it and setting it to remove the icon-arrows did the trick. Two down.

Robert

bearone2

Banned
disk cleanup within xp doesn't remove icons, just cleans folders that you check. it doesn't remove prgrams unless they're in those selected folders.

if you're removing programs in add/remove, that's different.

it sounds like you used a 3rd party cleanup utility and didn't know what you were doing.
you have to be careful when you check a box, as to what it does, before you check the box and click ok.

robhic

Robert
it sounds like you used a 3rd party cleanup utility and didn't know what you were doing. you have to be careful when you check a box, as to what it does, before you check the box and click ok.
No. If you right-click on C: drive in My Computer it brings up the disk cleanup screen. If you hit "Disk Clean" it brings up another screen with a "more options" tab. Within this tab is one to remove unused programs. That's where you have to "check to add/remove programs."

But it doesn't specify whether checking adds or removes the programs! It's a built in Microsoft utility within XP. It needs to be more clear.

Robert

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online