1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: ie wont open

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 12tipp12, Jan 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Hello again folks, my problem is this, having just installed xp pro sp2 on a new hard disc and while in the proccess of installing my usual programs i somehow managed to get a bug in ie, and i now find that i cant open ie, i use opera,avant, & firefox which all work fine but i would like to be able to use ie when/if nessary. I dont know if i can repair or reinstall ie and i would appreciate any help/suggestions in solving this problem, thanks in advance.

Bill.

2. matt_aj

matt_aj

Does it not open at all or do you just not get anywhere? What happens when you click the icon? Nothing?

3. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Hello Matt, sorry to say nothing happens when i click on the icon.

Bill

4. matt_aj

matt_aj

And this is a brand new install on a brand new drive? Or you just upgraded to SP2?

5. Swiper

Swiper

windows key + e
    in the address bar of windows explorer , you can type a URL and should take you to a webpage via IE

(alternate method): right click toolbar at bottom.... toolbars.... put a check box beside address and you should now have an address bar to type a URL in, in the taskbar

(alternate #2) : start.... run.... type in iexplore.exe hit ok/press enter

good luck
    Swiper

6. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Re Matt, fresh install on a brand new hard drive, everything went fine until i loaded lots of progs , i had a problem while installing Windowblinds, which i managed to sort out but one of my progs showed a bug in ie explore.exe,

Bill.

7. Augie65

Augie65

If Internet Explorer is not corrupt, but just the shortcut. You can:
    Start> Run> type: iexplore.exe -slf then OK. Internet Explorer will open to your default Home Page.

8. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Hello to Swiper & Augie, thanks for your input, ie opens through windows explorer but i cant seem to put a link to it on the desktop, slf doesent work so i dont know if that means its corrupt and if so can i do anything about it. Thanks.

Bill.

9. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi 12tipp12

Did you key in: iexplore.exe in the Run window as they suggested?

10. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Hello to EAFielder, yes i did and nothing happens. i have to type an address in windows explorer and the page opens in ie as suggested by Swiper.

11. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Do a Search for iexplore.exe
    In the Search results, click the iexplore.exe file located in this directory:
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer

Or navigate to that directory and locate and click the iexplore.exe file.

If Internet Explorer opens after clicking that file, create a shortcut and drag it to the Desktop.

12. 12tipp12

12tipp12 Thread Starter

Hello again to EAFieder, Patience is a virtue that i was not blessed with, so i had a go myself today while waiting for some advice/suggestions and true to form i managed to make things more complicated, i began by trying some file association fixes and from there it went all downhill, but never mind alls well that ends well, i bet you can guess what happened next, YES i ended up doing a reinstall with quick format and now everything seems to be working fine(i think/hope) so i do appologise for wasting your time and may i say again many thanks to you all for your advice its very much appreciated and i hope to be able to return the favours some time in the future(given my level of skill/experience i doubt it)

Sincerly
    Bill.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436983

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice