1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE works but Opera, Google Chrome, Firefox won't

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Mandiii, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mandiii

Mandiii Thread Starter

I have a HP and Windows 7 Pro. Five days ago I got an error on google chrome saying Error 10 (net::ERR_ACCESS_DENIED). I thought that it would go back to normal the next day so I just used IE (which I don't really like cause it always crashes). The next day Chrome still didn't work, so I decided to see if Firefox or Opera worked and of course they didn't. I have been looking in forums for 3 days and I have tried almost everything. I know that it's not a virus, firewall isn't blocking any of them, and the proxy is also not the problem. I have also done a system recovery to the day before Chrome stopped working and it still won't work. HELP!!

2. badness

badness

Why don't try removing the programs, then reinstalling them? If you haven't already...

3. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

How have you confirmed it's not an infection of any kind? What security software do you use? Are you using the Windows firewall or a third party firewall?

Peace...

4. Mandiii

Mandiii Thread Starter

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled all of them and I use windows firewall

5. badness

badness

Have you tried rebooting the router?

6. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

Uninstalling the browser won't eradicate any kind of infection. So, how have you determined that your system isn't infected and which security software are you running?

EDIT: Also, does IE work at all? Or do NONE of the browsers work right now?

Peace...

7. Mandiii

Mandiii Thread Starter

I have rebooted the router, and I used to use Norton but i deleted it off so i use a free one and IE is the only browser that will work. It just keeps freezing up.

8. badness

badness

9. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

Thanks for the update. Have you run a Norton removal tool. If you were using the Norton firewall before, there might be remnants of it causing grief.

Try running the Norton Removal tool and see what happens. Also, boot the computer in safe mode with networking and see if any/all of the browsers can access the web.

Peace...

10. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

11. badness

badness

Looks like tomdkat and I are in harmonic convergence.

12. Mandiii

Mandiii Thread Starter

Okay I rebooted the computer in safe mode and all the browers work! So that just means that something at startup it doing it, I'll fugure that out Thanks you guys!!

13. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

Thanks for the update. This means something running when you boot normally is blocking the other browsers. See if the Norton Removal tool does the trick or not.

When you had Norton installed, were you using its firewall?

Peace...

14. Mandiii

Mandiii Thread Starter

Which one would I click on if it came free with my computer?

15. tomdkat

tomdkat Trusted Advisor

I don't understand the question. What is "it" in the context of your question? :)

Peace...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/927729