1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE6 Multiple Oddities

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by UFO, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UFO

UFO Thread Starter

In the last couple of weeks my IE 6 has become nearly unusable and I haven't a clue as to why (I'm doing this thread from a Netscape browser.) Every other click on any given link - or entered URL - results in a "Page can not be displayed" message. In Hotmail there's a whole rash of weirdness - lots of "Error on page" messages with the yellow icon; upon reload the browser navigates back to the inbox, etc. - and after complaining to them they've verified that it's no system glitch on their end. In addition I followed their instructions, went into IE's Internet Options -> Security and set all of the "Internet," "Trusted Zones" and "Restricted Sites" to Default Level," also went into "Advanced" and unchecked "Use HTTP 1.1" in favor of "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections" per their instructions, though that sounds damned fishy to me. 8^] Still no improvement in any case, and now I've got URLs coming up with "FTP" instead of "HTTP" at the beginning - what the hell's that all about?

I tried downloading the new IE 7 Beta 3 and it immediately hosed up the network I share with my roommate (via cable modem and broadband router,) so I did a system revert to get rid of it.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows of a place I can re-load the last version of IE6. I looked all over Microsoft.com's downloads page and while there are dozens of patches and updates and service pack downloads for IE6, the only browser download they're offering now is IE 7 Beta 3, which as I've said blows away the network here for some reason and I don't care to take that on as a separate bug. I just want to reinstall IE6 as thought it's brand-spankin' new, in the hopes that these wierd problems will disappear.

As to suspected causes, all of this started at roughly the time I switched from Norton AV to the trial version of Kaspersky 6.0 when the Norton contract ran out - though I have no evidence (nor expertise) to know whether that has anything to do with the browser problem.

Advance thanks & beers to anybody who can unravel this.

2. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

google it

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice