Solved: IE6 & Outlook Express is causing Win98se to Freeze

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Patricko

Hi All,

My daughter (who lives in London) recently got connected to BTbroadband. Since getting the system set up, whenever she tries using IE 6 and/or Outlook Express 6, the system (Windows 98SE) freezes after about two or three minutes and she has to reboot. I have gone through the configuration settings, etc. with her and can't find anything wrong. The problem happens irrespective of whether the firewall (ZoneAlarm) is enabled or shutdown.

My QUESTION is, has any other member had this problem? If so, any advice on how to cure it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
Patricko

PS. The BT Yahoo Broadband modem is connected to her Dell Dimension XPS 400 PC via a USB cable.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi Patricko

Did she switch from Dial-Up to Broadband?

In Outlook Express,
Tools > Options > Connection tab
Remove any check marks there.
Apply, OK to save and close.

Tools > Accounts > (account name) > Properties > Connection tab,
If there, remove the check mark for Always connect to this account using:

Let us know if that works or not.

Patricko

Hi EAFiedler

YES my daughter switched from Dial-Up to Broadband and that's when the problem started. I will get her to do what you suggested and see if that fixes the problem. I will keep you informed as to the outcome, but it will probably take a day or so to get back to you, because she lives in London, England and I live in Kingscourt, Ireland, ok.

Bye for now...
Patricko

Patricko

Hello EAFiedler

I have just received an email from my daughter in London. She asked me to thank you for your advice on how to fix the freezing problem. Actually these are her words "Dad, please forward my thanks to the chap who gave you the advice and mention that he saved a PC's life.... it came mighty close to falling (being chucked) from a 3rd floor window." :)

She said that after following your instructions, she rebooted the PC and it froze first time. She then Powered off everything and rebooted again, but this time all worked fine (i.e. no freeze). She has used IE and Outlook Express a couple of times since and so far they have worked okay. She said she will use it again tomorrow and let me know how it behaves. Please also accept my thanks for your help with fixing the problem. Should IE or Outlook Express misbehave tomorrow then I will let you know, OK. If it doesn't freeze tomorrow then I will mark this thread as solved.

Again, many thanks for your help...
Patricko

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Thanks for posting back!
Tell her, "She is most welcome!" (y) I am glad I could be of assistance. :D

Those settings were telling Outlook Express to use the Dial-Up account.

If she still has her Dial-Up account listed in Internet Options, she may also need to check the connection status for Internet Explorer:
Control Panel > Internet Options > Connection tab
Highlight any connectoids showing in the: Dial-Up and Virtual Private Network Settings and select Never Dial a connection for each connectiod listed.

Patricko

Hello EAFiedler

I have just received another email from my daughter in London. She said that this morning when she first powered up her PC and tried using IE and OE, the system froze but when she rebooted everything was fine. This afternoon and this evening she booted up the system again and both sessions were problem free. I have sent details of your additional suggestions/settings for her to check and/or change in Internet Options, but I probably won't hear anything from her until sometime tomorrow.

I know she has also got another intermittent problem with her PC and it may be this that is causing her system to occasionally freeze at boot-up time. She said that when the system freezes at boot-up time, an error massage box with a red X symbol is displayed with a message that says something along the lines of the system has detected a corruption and will shut down. As this is an intermittent problem and it happens only when she is booting up her system, I have asked her to provide me with a more explicit description of this problem and then I (or a TSG guru, like yourself :) ) may be able to help fix the problem... but that's for another day, or maybe another thread.

Once again, thanks for all your help and advice in sorting out my daughter's IE and OE broadband freezing problem. I'll keep this thread open for another day or two until I hear from my daughter again. I'll also keep you posted as to any further developments...

Kindest Regards
Patricko

Patricko

Hi EAFiedler

NO, not that I'm aware of. Do you know if there was an update issued by Microsoft that dealt with this particular Windows 98SE problem?

Until a couple of years ago (when I also lived in London), I maintain my daughter's PC for her. In fact, the PC in question used to be mine until I passed it on to my daughter. Her PC is running Windows 98SE which I installed. I can't recall what Windows updates I actually applied to the PC but I'm sure I applied some of the critical security updates. Whenever I fly to London to visit my daughter, I usually update her Anti-Virus software and scan her system for Adware, Spyware and Malware but I usually leave Windows 98SE alone (why try and fix it if it's not broken?). I personally run the same revision of Windows 98SE on one on my current PCs and Windows XP Pro on another. I no longer download updates for Windows 98SE because according to the Woody's Windows Watch newsletters (www.woodyswatch.com) many of the later updates issued by Microsoft for Windows 98SE actually caused more problems than they cured. Both of my systems run without a problem.

Regards
Patricko

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online