1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) IE6 SP1 Unable to Install. (Me)

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by TheEvilDude, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheEvilDude

TheEvilDude Thread Starter

Ok ive done almost everything i can think of.

1. tried to unistall IE5.5 (unable because of No Uninstall file)
    2. Manualy Deleted all files and plugings to IE5.5. (that worked)
    *** tried to istall but was unable to install still***
    3. Downloaded Netscape Navigator. (downloaded the Install File again.)
    *** Unable to Install again. ***
    4. Copied all IE6 Sp1 files from Other computers over the LAN to compter.
    *** Still Runing on the Ver. 5.5 even after copying***
    5. Deleted IE5.5 again. (downloaded IE6 Sp1 Again.)
    *** No good ***
    6. Went to www.Microsoft.com and bought the IE6 SP1 Cd.
    *** Unable to install. ***
    7. Came here and asking for your help.
    *** Hope this works ***

Now this cmputer is very old and the reason i wanted IE6 Sp1 was because i couldnt get most of the updates without it. The CD works properly but is unable to DL the needed files and install them.

This is how it does it on the CD and in the Install.

1.I Agree
    2.Typical Install.
    *** Starts Downloading ***
    *** 1% ***
    *** 2% ***
    *** 3% ***
    *** 85%***
    *** Not all componants were Installed onto the System. Please Close some programs and try again.***

*** Repeat all steps ***

This is when i get annoyed. Can Anyone Help?

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

EvilDude
    Are you running winme? Your post is in the nt\2000\xp section.
    If so there are some items we can try.

Dave

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

EvilDude
    I am going to assume this is the same system that you have had problems with before "WinME"so here are instructions on two items to try.

Two issues could be at play here:
    1)- You have residual OEM.inf files from previous install attempts that
    have zero(0)KB for file size.
    2)- You have a lock currently applied on a file by another application (disk utility) that requires the file or folder locked while it does its job. Several of these Applications are Antivirus programs, Scandisk, and Defrag.

First it is recommended to remove any OEM.inf files that have 0KB for a size.
    CAUTION: You must be careful and diligent during this process not to delete any that are larger than Zero(0)KB!

PROCEDURE FOR REMOVAL:
    Step 1- Set Windows to show all files. To do so, open Windows Explorer, on the Tools menu,
    click Folder Options, click the View tab, and then select the Show hidden files and folders option.
    Step 2- Exit Folder options
    Step 3- Click on Start\Search
    Step 4- In the Files or Folder box, type OEM*.INF
    Step 5- Type the following in the look in box C:\Windows\Inf
    Step 6- Click the Search options line below Search now and stop Search buttons
    Step 7- Select the size box
    Step 8- Set least size to zero (0)
    Step 9- Set Most size to one (1)
    Step 10- Verify all above settings correct and hit the Search tab
    Step 11- After search results appear click the size tab in the right pane to organize the
    files by size putting the zeros first.
    Step 12- After verifying these are indeed OEM.INF files with zero(0)KB size then
    Step 13- Holding the control key down start Highlighting the files
    Note: If there are thousands of the Zero(0)KB files and you know the only ones listed
    are zeros the use the select all tab under the edit tab up top.
    Step 14- Highlight all zero files and hit the delete button
    Step 15- Say yes to the confirmation box.
    Close the search feature after delete and go back and deselect the show all files button you selected at the start.

Note: Disable all disk utility programs while installing the Windows Me updates. I know that means disabling the antivirus.

Then

Follow these instructions........

1) Open Windows Explorer Navigate to C:/Program Files/InternetExplorer/Uninstall folder.

2) Right click on the Uninstall folder and select properties.
    The Hidden box will be checked so uncheck it. Then click the Apply tab. Another window will pop-up select to "Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files button".
    Note: This will unhide all of the files in the Uninstall Information folder.

3) Minimize the window you are working with and click the Icon for "My Documents" folder.

4) When My documents opens right click an empty spot in window and select the new tab. Name the new folder "IE Holder". Minimize "My documents" folder.

5) Click on on the Windows Explorer folder you previously minimized. When open click the edit tab up top and click select all and edit again and select cut.

6) Now click on "My Documents" previously minimized.
    Paste the cut files there.

7) Close down all windows and restart system. When restart complete go to windows update again (or use your install disk) and retry installing the remainder of IE6 SP1.

If successful restart system and then reopen Windows Explorer and navigate back to the uninstall folder.

8) Open "My Documents" IE Holder folder and select all, cut all files you previously put there and paste them back into the uninstall folder.

9) Right click uninstall folder again select properties and check the hidden tab again and also select subfolders and files when pop-up appears.

If update is successful then turn Antivirus back on.

Dave

4. TheEvilDude

Im not sure if i should continue or not becaue the search did not find ANY files with 0Kb. So..... What now?

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

EvilDude
    Continue to second part........

Dave

6. TheEvilDude

Unsucessful... Did all u said.... Still... Unsucessful...

I also tried that once...

I do enjoy the help though. Please continue to help me.

7. Davey7549

Davey7549

EvilDude
    Do you have a complete IE 6.0 SP1 install CD?
    If so then maybe we should IEradicate Internet Explorer and start over with the install CD.

http://www.litepc.com/ieradicator.html

Before you do is the machine you are communicating with TSG the affected machine? And do you have the WinME install disk? We could always use the WinME install disk and find IESetup.exe and run that first after ieradicate so at least you have basic Internet Explorer.

Dave

8. TheEvilDude

Dave

I have tried just DESTROYING all traces of the files that IE6 had made with a separate program and by click-and-delete. I put them on a ZipDisc before i deleted them all. Nothing was left on my comp. Even so it still refused to Upgrade from Windows Update and the CD.

I do have a Windows ME Complete Install.

I do have the IE6 Sp1 CD. Though I dont think that it puts the files on the CD but rather a Downloading File to Download the Files needed to install it.

Perhaps my computer is just unable to update from 5.5 to 6.0 Sp1. Though if you can think of anything else that would be nice. I will try the Me CD and look for the IE Setup. I will post back if the IE Setup on the Windows Me CD works though.

Be back in 5-15 minuets.

9. TheEvilDude

It seems that i have misplaced my CD Case full of all my drivers and installs....... I will try to find it. This will delay the help untill i find it.

10. Davey7549

Davey7549

Evildude
    You may want to IEradicate the current installation to be sure all scraps are gone. It is a free program and wouldn't hurt since you are doing a complete IE install!

Dave

11. pdjrg

pdjrg

I had this same problem on my home PC. No matter what I did the IE6 installation would jump from about 3% to 100% and end with an error saying unable to finish installation. I reinstalled 5.5 and then installed the Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 and Internet Tools for Windows Me from the Microsoft website(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6b-deb9-4a46-81da-abef1ebbd08a&DisplayLang=en) and then finally the IE6 installation completed successfully. Sounds way too simple compared to all the other advice I see in this thread but it worked for me.

12. TheEvilDude

I am sorry i have not responded in a while. I was actualy... Afraid of... My computer having problems. My computer does not like Programs to much. So useing any of the programs you offered I kind of tried to avoid. I did try Daves Idea and it worked and I now trust this site. Thank you Dave for helping me out. I would give u a donation but... Im kidna just a child. Can't do anything untill im 18. About 5 years to go. Thank you both for trying to help me.

Thanks.

13. Davey7549

Davey7549

EvilDude
    Glad all is well! You should be cautious on what you download and load since there is so much out there that can cause harm to your system. We at TSG watch our site pretty close to prevent any harm to other members. Take care and donate when you can because it helps offset the cost of running TSG as free.

Pdjrg
    Your method is time tested and many times will work. The items listed above for fixing the problem are just for fixing not replacing. When neither worked then replacing or over-installing becomes the only options. In this case EvilDudes registry was really messed up and leaving some of the registry entries could of caused further problems down the road even if IE5.5 and upgrade to IE6 was successful. IEraticating all entries and programs associated to EvilDudes current install allowed him a fresh start and should prevent unusual happenings.

Take care guys and will consider this matter solved.

Dave

14. TheEvilDude

Problem Solved. You may put ther [Solved] or whatever you put on it. I forget what its called.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164530

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice