1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE7 fails to connect to sites with http, works in https; email works fine

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lspswr, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lspswr

lspswr Thread Starter

Probably this is something simple in IE7 options/settings but I failed to figure it out.

This is happening on my desktop (am writing this on my laptop). It's failing to connect, with the exception being "secure" sites - https://....

Email is working fine.

Thanks
    LSPSWR

PS this happened after we did Microsoft livecare free scan and implemented corrective actions (malware/virus deletions); it then prompted us to reboot, then indicated new Windows updates to install, and then it prompted us to re-install IE7

2. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

lspswr,

Can you please more accurately describe your situation, providing error messages etc, so I may better assist you with your problem.

For example, do you get any messages when trying to connect to http:// websites? If not, what happens?

3. lspswr

lspswr Thread Starter

just says

Internet explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
    - You are not connect to the Intenet.
    - The website is encountering problems.
    - There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:

- Diagnose Connection Problems
    - More information

--------------
    If i choose "diagnose" it indicates successful connection to ftp.microsoft.com an https is also successful to microsoft.com but http yields "error 12029" as does connecting to hotmail.com

4. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

You may try checking out this Microsoft KB Article.

If no suggestions from that article work, i suggest you uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer, but before I provide instructions to do so, what operating system are you running on this computer?

5. lspswr

lspswr Thread Starter

windows xp

6. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

Okay, please see this article for information on uninstalling Internet Explorer 7.

Once you have verified that IE7 has been succesfully uninstalled, ensure you can visit web pages using IE6. If so, you can proceed to reinstall IE7 by downloading the package from here.

7. lspswr

lspswr Thread Starter

interesting....in "add or remove programs" for Windows IE7, no "remove" button comes up. All other apps have this button.

????

8. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

There are 2 methods listed in that article. Since method 1 was not sufficient for you, keep scrolling to method 2. Here, for your convenience i will provide it here:

9. lspswr

lspswr Thread Starter

ok that all worked, i have uninstalled IE7 and rebooted and confirmed that i now have IE6. not clear how to reinstall IE7...?

note that my homepage still fails to open in IE6.

10. lspswr

lspswr Thread Starter

...or perhaps i just click the installation balloon...trying that now.

11. lspswr

lspswr Thread Starter

....successfully reinstalled IE7...BUT the problem persists. "internet explorer cannot display the webpage". diagnosis still indicates HTTPS access but not HTTP.

12. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

lspswr,

Do you by any chance have another browser installed? If so, verify if you can view HTTP pages in that browser, otherwise download & install Mozilla Firefox from here and see if you can visit HTTP pages there.

You may also try flushing the DNS resolver cache:

1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. In the box type 'cmd' (no quotes) and press OK.
    3. At the command prompt, type 'ipconfig /flushdns' (again, no quotes) and then press enter.
    4. You should get the following message:

Windows IP Configuration
    Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

5. Close command prompt

Also just on a quick side note, do you have any download managers or other addons installed with IE?

If none of the above suggestions work, you can also try the following:

1. Click Start and then click Run.
    2. In the box type 'cmd' (no quotes) and press OK.
    3. At the command prompt type 'netsh winsock reset catalog' (no quotes) and press enter.
    4. You should get the following message:

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
    You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset.

5. Close command prompt & restart your computer.

13. lspswr

lspswr Thread Starter

Hi Nick,

First thanks for all the patient help.

I do not have any other browsers installed. I also have no clue how to download it on my desktop since I cannot access the link you sent from my desktop. (Perhaps there is a command line based way to do it?)

The DNS and Winsock commands reacted as you expected but neither one of them fixed the issue on my desktop.

From the IE help links last night i disabled add-ons but that failed to resolve the issue. And please recall IE6 also exhibits the same issue.

Back to square one....

Thanks,
    LSPSWR

14. Nick Tompson

Nick Tompson

lspswr,

Of course, my mistake! Is it possible by any chance to download Mozilla Firefox on another machine, and transport it to the affected machine via CD or USB?

15. lspswr

lspswr Thread Starter

No, not really, not easily.

Is that proposal a backup way for me to get on the internet or an enabler to help fix the problem at hand?

Any other options to get IE backup?

thanks...LSPSWR

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/780754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice