1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE7 locked homepage to MSN

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by marie500, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I asked in the security forum about my homepage being "hijacked" by Microsoft's MSN.com. It won't change no matter what. The post is now on pg.8 even after a bump when it was on pg. 5. No one answered (that single reply is my own bump) http://forums.techguy.org/security/587761-where-even-start.html

I can reformulate the question as a browser issue for this forum.

I did the usual scans, reverted back to IE6 then back to IE7, registry hacks from Doug Knox's site to lock/unlock your homepage. Now I'm knee-deep in the registry.

I followed a Microsoft reg fix to delete a value under POLICIES, IE, MAIN.. which did not work. It said if there was an entry for HomePage, to delete it. I did, but now it's back.
    The HOMEPAGE entry under MICROSOFT-INTERNET EXPLORER-CONTROL PANEL has the value = NAME-HomePage, TYPE-REG_DWORD, Data-0x00000000 (0).
    Is there anything I can do with it? Does the "0" mean it's locked? If I change the first "0" to a "1," will it be unlocked and could I reset my homepage? Is there anything I can type in, something that's missing?

2. kama64

kama64

If you have SpyBot S&D installed, go to the "Immunize" section.
    Is "Lock IE Start Page Settings" ticked?
    If so, uncheck it.

3. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

I did look for that before, it was unchecked and still is.

EDIT! - wait, that was in the S&D Tools section > IE TWEAKS. I'm at the Immunize screen now, it says All Knows Bad Products Are Already Blocked.

4. stantley

stantley

You also have Norton running, I think there's an option in there somewhere that locks the homepage.

5. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

That's it! I never would have found that. Not ever. What a relief!
    I appreciate the good help from both of you.

6. macdeux

macdeux

I have Norton as well -- it's Norton that keeps telling me that an attempt is being made to change my homepage and even though I respond to "block" the attempt, it still changes to MSN. I've searched everywhere through Norton to see if I can "unlock" it with no success. Incidentally, this happened just after I ran SmitFraudFix to fix another trojan problem. Anyway, can you point me in the right Norton direction of how you fixed this???

7. marie500

marie500 Thread Starter

Sorry I didn't answer sooner ... I really hope you see this ...
    (I have Norton 2006.)

Open Norton from system tray> Norton Preotection Center> "Web Browsing> "Spyware Protection> (a small drop-down menu will open right underneath)> "Configure Spyware Options> On the left menu under "Internet" - click last item, "Home Page Protection"> Clear checkmark in "Turn On Homepage Protection"> click OK.
    That should do it. Finally. I know exactly how you feel.

When you uncheck that box all the other options get turned off - grayed out, so no worry about making any other adjustments.
    Norton is such a %#@&!!

8. kayandallie

kayandallie

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the help! I spent all day scanning my computer, courtesy of MSN security help, all to no avail in trying to change the daggone tab so that it wouldn't go to AOL. Then I happened on this topic in a google search and voila; problem solved.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/588330