1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE8 Content Advisor

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Frank4d, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I tried to use IE8 this morning only to find I could not access most sites. A Content Advisor window popped up telling me the site can't be accessed because it doesn't have a certificate, and offered several options which require a password. I don't know the password as I never enabled Content Advisor before. I could not disable it either because that requires a password.

So trying to remember what has changed recently, I allowed MS security updates to be installed yesterday morning. And AVG updated itself later yesterday morning. I did a System Restore to before the AVG update, but after the MS updates. That disabled IE8 Content Advisor, solving the problem.

Has anybody else seen this? Or was it my 15 year-old messing with dad's computer yesterday while I was at work?

2. Frank4d

It happened again. :mad: This time "a game" was shown as the password hint; which was completely useless to me since I never intentionally enabled Content Advisor. Doing a System Restore to to the date before my original post again fixed the problem. Doing full scans with AVG and MBAM says no malware found.

Edit: My wife just reported the same problem with her computer. Since my 11 year-old son uses the same computer, I typed the name of his favorite online game as the password to disable Content Advisor. It worked.
    So I suspect I have some malware cleanup to do on that computer, something that infects network shares. I don't need this today!

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Or you referring to the following message?

Make sure you have the correct date and time (AM/PM) on your computer.

Or, check THIS out.

4. Frank4d

IE8 is displaying a window that pops up like the one attached, for every website I try to visit. MBAM and AVG identified 16 infected entries including Vundo... so I guess I get to spend the night sorting it. Also, righting click on anything no longer works. Not what I wanted to do tonight. :mad:

Attached Files:

5. Phantom010

Before [​IMG], try the Malware Removal forum! [​IMG]

6. Frank4d

Thanks, I will go to the Malware Removal forum before abusing my computer. :D

7. Frank4d

I have fixed this by disabling System Restore on the affected computer and then running full scans in Safe Mode with MBAM and AVG.

8. Phantom010

[​IMG]

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918528

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice