1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: IE8 error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by timbomcchoi, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timbomcchoi

timbomcchoi Thread Starter

I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3, and I had no problems whatsoever, until recently.
    A couple weeks ago, when I tried to open IE (version 8), the IE window showed up, and closed itself almost instantly afterwards. After several unfruitful attempts to get it to work, the window did not dissipate, but instead I got a error report pop-up ("Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close......"). I have attached a copy of the error report to this post.

I ran multiple full scans using the latest version of AVG Free 2011, and I've checked for errors on all disks in this computer as well, but neither of those tries changed anything. I also tried to open IE thru a different account on this computer, which did work at first, but a couple error later, the same problem occurred on that account as well. I just tested out all accounts on this computer, and none of those work.

I use Chrome for the most part, so this isn't too big of a deal for me, but nonetheless, IE is obviously a key component of Windows, so I really need to get this problem taken care of.

Thanks!

P.S. If there's anything else that is needed or would help solve this problem that is within my abilities, send me an email and I will respond to it within 24 hours.

Attached Files:

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

Hi Tim,
    Sometimes malware can cause problems like this so be sure to check using MalwareBytes or equal. Often AV won't catch these culprits.

After that, try re-registering the Dll's responsible for the smooth working of IE. There are several free tools available for that. Click Here for One.

You may also want to try disabling any addons that the browser is using, just for a test. Go to Tools > Manage Addons > highlight each suspect and disable it. You can easily reverse this if it doesn't help.

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

4. timbomcchoi

timbomcchoi Thread Starter

I disabled all add-ons I cannot recognize, and that did solve the problem, so I'm guessing all I have to do now is reactivate each one of them until I can isolate the problematic one?

Thanks, guys! :D

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You're welcome!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice