1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ie8

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jcmj, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jcmj

jcmj Thread Starter

HI- I'm using IE8 with win 7 on my dell computer. When I'm surfing or working at a site my IE& stops working. It shows "not responding" at the very top of the screen. I have to answer the sindow options
    that follow. I don't have 3rd party browser enabled in internet options because that's when it really acts up. Any suggestions on what it might be and what I can do to fix it?

2. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

First Name:
    Jim
  3. jcmj

jcmj Thread Starter

Jim- I've tried to dnld IE9 three different times and it won't download without
    me getting error messages and it messes up my computer so I have to restore it. I'm using microsoft security essentials and Iolo System mechanic.
    Thanks anyway.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you use any registry cleaners ? They cause more problems than they claim to fix.

5. Blacqwolf

Blacqwolf

In IE, disable ALL the add-ons. Then, try going to Control Panel, and under Programs, select Uninstall a Program. Then, in the pane to the left of the window, select the "view installed updates" link. Try uninstalling all updates which may be associated with Internet Explorer. Reboot the computer, and see if you get any problems afterwards.

Then, try updating to IE9 again, which if it succeeds will overwrite the current IE files with newer ones so you will be less likely to encounter the problem again.

6. jcmj

jcmj Thread Starter

Hi- I checked and viewd my updates. There were no updates for Int. Explorer 8. oops! I try to feret out updates that I don't think I need by viewing their usefulness with my system. Thank you for the help. I'll try alot of things to get this righted.

7. Blacqwolf

Blacqwolf

Well, you may find this to help. From what I read so far, it may not work for the current case, but it's better than nothing. You could also try going to Windows Update and install all the updates for IE (except for the IE9 update, of course), and see if that helps resolves the issue, or at least puts it in a restore-capable state, such as where we are able to download and install IE9, which if it succeeds should fix it.

Also, a few additional things to try: (make sure IE is closed when doing these!)

~Go to C:\Users\your user name here\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ and delete the Internet Explorer folder
    (this contains certain settings related to IE, and deleting may eliminate a certain setting or corrupt file that causes it to act this way. Don't worry, IE will recreate it with default settings next time you launch it.)

Do the same with C:\Users\user name here\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft - delete the Internet Explorer folder. It will be recreated with defaults when launching IE, just like the first one.

~Try IE9 install again. If it fails, it should place a file on the desktop. Open that file, and post what it says.

~If all of the above fails, try going to Start, and search for "Turn Windows features on or off" and click the link that says precisely that. In the window that appears, uncheck Internet Explorer. Reboot. Do the same again, except this time checking Internet Explorer. Reboot again.

8. jcmj

jcmj Thread Starter

Blacqwolf- Thanks for the help. I, uninstalled and reinstalled IE8 and then tried dnld'g IE9. As it turned out I was able to install IE9 without any trouble. (As mentioned, I couldn't get IE 9 dnld'd.) Thank you for the help. It's nice to have 'explorer' working properly. Have a nice Thankgiving.

9. Blacqwolf

Blacqwolf

Glad I could help. A good thanksgiving to you too! :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!