Solved: Iexplore - Kernel32.dll error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sjado

First of all Happy New year to all!

This error has been posted here before and Rollin' Rog has given me some pointers but to no avail. The problem that a friend of mine is facing is the following:

While she's surfing the net and a link opens a new window, the new window opens but the moment she closes this new created window, IE crashes which results in the following error in the eventlog (dutch Windows XP SP2):

Vastgelopen toepassing: iexplore.exe, versie: 6.0.2900.2180, vastgelopen module: kernel32.dll, versie: 5.1.2600.2180, vastgelopen op: 0x0001eb33.

This is the exact same as the english error:

Faulting application explorer.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001eb33.

I've tried numerous things. Nothing seems to work. The last solution Rollin' Rog gave me (looking for the context handlers) didn't help. The only contexthandlers she had were made by Norman (Antivirus) and the Microsoft ones. I'm not sure the problem is with the rightclicking therefore the solution should probably be found somewhere else. She's had this problem for quite sometime now (almost a year if not more). I think that installing and using FireFox would be a solution, however I like to see if I can resolve this problem.

Just to give you guys an idea, this is the HIJACKTHIS log I created:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 20:34:08, on 17-11-2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Norman\bin\ZLH.EXE
C:\Program Files\Conexant\CnxDslTb.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb10.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe
C:\Norman\bin\ZANDA.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wdfmgr.exe
C:\Norman\Nvc\BIN\NIP.EXE
C:\NORMAN\nvc\BIN\nvcoas.exe
C:\Norman\bin\NJEEVES.EXE
C:\NORMAN\nvc\BIN\NVCSCHED.EXE
C:\NORMAN\Nvc\BIN\nipsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\Norman\Nvc\bin\cclaw.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.versatel.nl/prive
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Koppelingen
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: PCTools Site Guard - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdsg.dll
O2 - BHO: PCTools Browser Monitor - {B56A7D7D-6927-48C8-A975-17DF180C71AC} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Norman ZANDA] C:\Norman\bin\ZLH.EXE /LOAD /SPLASH
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CnxDslTaskBar] C:\Program Files\Conexant\CnxDslTb.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Component Manager] "C:\Program Files\HP\hpcoretech\hpcmpmgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb10.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Edition\3.0\Apps\apdproxy.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Spyware Doctor] "C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\swdoctor.exe" /Q
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mytotalsearch.com/menusearch.html?p=CPXXXXXX59
O9 - Extra button: Spyware Doctor - {2D663D1A-8670-49D9-A1A5-4C56B4E14E84} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYWAR~1\tools\iesdpb.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700} (Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool) - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
O16 - DPF: {4C0942C1-C405-4805-B3B6-EA16F2DDD1BD} (innova-Panorama-Viewer Object) - http://www.innova-webplaner.de/innova/pano/prog/HOL/rundum.6.5.0.11.cab
O23 - Service: Norman API-hooking helper (NipSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\NORMAN\Nvc\BIN\nipsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norman NJeeves - Unknown owner - C:\Norman\bin\NJEEVES.EXE
O23 - Service: Norman ZANDA - Unknown owner - C:\Norman\bin\ZANDA.EXE
O23 - Service: Norman Virus Control on-access component (nvcoas) - Norman ASA - C:\NORMAN\nvc\BIN\nvcoas.exe
O23 - Service: Norman Virus Control Scheduler (NVCScheduler) - Norman Data Defense Systems - C:\NORMAN\nvc\BIN\NVCSCHED.EXE

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

The only visible "spyware" in the scanlog would be that associated with "mytotalsearch.com":

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://bar.mytotalsearch.com/menusea...l?p=CPXXXXXX59

This can be easily "fixed" in HijackThis.

The "bho's" present (the '02' items) are both obviously legit. To test those, instead of removing them, open Internet Options > Advanced and take the check out of "enable 3rd party browser extensions" (requires restart) -- restart and test.

It is also helpful to test using an alternate browser such as Opera or Firefox or even test IE using another User Account.

Sjado

Hmm that's strange.. how did I miss that mytotalsearch...

I was wondering if FireFox would solve the problem. Still find it strange that an error like this can have so many different problems..

Anyways, I'll give it a go.. thanks for the heads up..

If Firefox solves the problem, then you know it is an Internet Explorer problem OR a problem with a damaged IE cache or User Account.

Sjado

Okay, FireFox did solve the problem. No more problems with closing the browser after it opened another window.

Do you honestly think that cleaing the IE cache can solve this problem?

In case it's a 'user account' problem (which I doubt I believe she has Windows XP Pro), do I just try to make another account and let her try it with that? What could be a problem with her user account that could get IE to crash like that?

Thanks for the heads up tho!

You can test whether it is a User Account problem simply by enabling the "Guest" account temporarily.

If it is, then it's possible the old account can be repaired by deleting the index.dat cache. Probably the easiest way to do this would be to use CCleaner.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

The cache and index.dat are specific to each account in IE

Sjado

You can change this thread to solved. She's using FireFox now and the problem hasn't reoccured. At this point she's happy which is good enough for me.. DOn't give up soon, but it's taking too much time to figure this one out for me.

Thanks for the support!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online