1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) Iexplore Not Responding

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by jackpan, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

I searched all the threads pertain to this issue, but none were the same. Here goes! My OS is Win98SE with IE 6.0. After booting up and connecting with my ISP, Explorer hangs. While trying to connect with a website the hourglass icon appears and never goes away. By pressing Ctrl/Alt/Delete the "Close Program" dialog box appears. The top two items listed in the box are:

Explorer Not Responding
    Iexplore Not Responding

The Iexplore line is always highlighted. By selecting "End Task" Explorer takes off and continues running perfectly. I ran the Explorer Repair Tool, Spybot, and Ad-aware. Problem still remains. I have only the bare essential items running at startup. Any info will be appreciated.

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jack
    I have seen a similiar problem as yours and what we did was set IE Explorer options\connection to never dial a connection and placed a connect to ISP shortcut icon on desktop using it to connect first before opening IE or OE.

Dave

3. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

Hi Davey,

Thanks for the quick reply. I did exactly as you suggested, but the problem still remains. I even tried the third option under the Connections Tab, "Dial whenever a network connection is not present". Still the same.

In between posting this thread and your response I did some more research. When pressing Ctrl / Alt / Delete I recognized all programs running except one. The one in question is "RNAAPP". After a little more digging I found out this is a networking program. I own a laptop with the same OS installed and the same ISP. The laptop works perfectly. I decided to do some comparisons with both PC's side by side. On both systems I went into Control Panel / Network. Under the Configuration Tab both were the same with "Windows Logon" selected. Now it gets interesting. When I checked TCP/IP / Bindings Tab I noticed a difference. On my desktop (the problem PC) the selection checked is "Clients For Microsoft Network". On the laptop the checked item is "Microsoft Family Logon". Each PC only has one option available. I do not have a choice of options. How do I reinstall the "Microsoft Family Logon" onto my desktop. I am playing "amateur techie" now and only guessing. This however makes some degree of sense. What do you think? Thanks.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jack
    I will be surprised if that is what is affecting your desktop but it is worth a try.

Here are the instructions:

Windows Family Logon is not a normal selection and must be added.
    1. Go to Control Panel\Network.
    2. Click the "Add" button.
    3. Click to highlight "Client".
    4. Click the "Add" button.
    5. Select "Microsoft Family Logon" from the list.
    6. Click OK
    Then
    7. Go back to Control Panel\Network.
    8. Click the right arrow under "Primary Network Logon".
    9. Select "Microsoft Family Logon" from the list.

Dave

5. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

It worked! Here's the story. At one time I could connect to the Net by either clicking on a link such as Google and a dialog box would appear asking me to connect with my ISP or click onto a shortcut on my desktop for my Dial-up Connection. The shortcut to my ISP is the only thing that works, but who cares? I am no longer forced to hit Cont / Alt / Delete to continue.

One final question before we wrap up this thread. There is a new version of DUN 1.4 for Win98SE at the Microsoft Download Center. Does this pertain to home users like myself or is this an enhanced network download? Would it do me any good to download and install it? Thanks again. I appreciate your time and efforts.

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jack
    Windows never ceases to amaze me!!! This should have no affect on your problem but it did!

As far as the new update..... Why change something that is working OK now! Do you really want to take the chance?

Dave

PS: Try changing your IE setting in connections to dial a connection if not present and see if clicking on google effects a connection. You can always switch it back.

7. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

I hope you're sitting Davey. Get a load of this one. Took your suggestion and changed the connection option. After Windows was loaded I clicked on Google. My ISP dialog box appeared and I clicked on connect. Within a couple of seconds I was connected to Google. Terrific right? I "X" out of that link and tried Weather.com. Guess what? I had to press Ctrl / Alt / Delete and stop Iexplore just like before. The only connection option that works is, "Always dial my default connection". Since I have a shortcut to my ISP on my desktop this does not present any inconvenience. So what do you think? The bottom line is, "all is well".

FYI: By switching my TCP/IP to Windows Family Logon, it removed the "Network Neighborhood" icon from my desktop. This is fine with me because the icon was worthless anyway. Perhaps the Windows Family Logon is the correct setting for home use. Let me know what you think. Talk to you later.

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Jack
    Thats a real hair puller!!!:eek:
    Should not act that way unless you are dropping a connection when you closed google but then the next opening of IE should of attempted another connect!

Strange to say the least!

Well at least the "Always dial a my default" works OK!

As for the Windows logon vs Microsoft networks that to should make little difference.

The only explanation to all of this is driver incompatability.

So if all works OK as set now then lets just move on and consider this solved since I can't afford losing more hair!:D ;)

Dave

9. jackpan

jackpan Thread Starter

Thanks again for your assistance. Let's put this thread to bed.

(y) ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173187

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice