1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Iexplore shuts down when I try to download

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by larsonswv, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larsonswv

larsonswv Thread Starter

I have Windows ME. I recently had to reformat my computer due to viruses. Everything is back to normal, except when I try to download Yahoo IM, I get this message.

"Iexplore has caused an error in JSCRIPT.DLL
    Iexplore will now close"

I've been able to download everything else (spybot, adaware, MSN Messenger, and Bitdefender).

Any clues of why this is happening, or how I can fix it?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

2. ohheck

ohheck

have you tried going to the ms update site and downloading all the updates for IE?

3. larsonswv

larsonswv Thread Starter

ohheck:

I'm sorry its taken me so long to email you back. I've had downloaded all of the critical updates when I had originally posted. After your post I went back and downloaded some of the other ones. The only ones I didn't download were all the language ones, the Microsoft .NET Framework, Euro conversion tool, movie maker, and media player 9, since I didn't think I needed them. Do I need the framework one?...it said if you had software that required it, and since I had originally had yahoo messenger without it, I didn't think I need it. I'm still having the same error message. Any other suggestions?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have Norton Anti Virus installed?

5. larsonswv

larsonswv Thread Starter

AcaCandy,

No, but I do have BitDefender 8 Professional Plus for my antivirus/firewall.

6. slingshotter

slingshotter

Let me suggest that you download, install, and USE Mozilla's Firefox browser, and eliminate most of the problems you're having with IE and hijackers/trojans etc. Since Firefox does NOT use those stupid ActiveX controls, it is a MUCH safer browser, and your problems should be history.

Here's the link:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/0.10.1/Firefox Setup 1.0PR.exe

Good luck; try Firefox and let us know if you can download Yahoo Instant Mess now.

-- slingshotter

7. larsonswv

larsonswv Thread Starter

slingshotter:

I did as you suggested and did install/download and use Firefox. It finally let me download the stuff to get Yahoo IM on there, however it went through the motions of a download, and at the end said download not complete on the IM part (it let me download the toolbar).

I'm still stumped as to why I can't download IM. At first when I clicked on the download (it was saved to my computer), it said something about unable to open due to dll libary, (or something like that)...but eventually did open. Also once I had an error message and it sent a report to Microsoft...Microsoft came back with a download for dlls, which I did download, but still has not fixed the problem.

Any more suggestions?

8. slingshotter

slingshotter

Ok, you're making progress; now I'm going to suggest that you download a slightly OLDER version of Yahoo Instant Mess from HERE:

http://www.oldversion.com

That is the homepage; the page where you can find Yahoo IM 5.0 is HERE:

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=yahoo

Give YIM 5.0 a try; download and save it to your Desktop, so you can find it when you're ready to install it. Once the download finishes, close your browser, REBOOT, then try to install YIM. MAKE GOOD NOTES about any error messages you see, and we'll know what to do next. I myself use YIM 5.0; a LOT of people are not happy with some of the changes that have been made to the current version (5.6).

When you set up YIM, DISABLE the "Yahoo AutoUpdater" feature (or WHATEVER they're calling it). I use ZoneLabs Zonealarm freeware firewall to BLOCK Yahoo AutoUpdates, so my YIM WON'T be changed unless I WANT it changed; THAT won't happen anytime soon!

Let us know what happens, and be SURE to TAKE NOTES of those error messages! Without knowing EXACTLY what you're seeing, we can't do much more than GUESS about how to resolve this, but with the EXACT error messages, we should be able to nail this down pretty quickly.

Again, good luck, and thanks for responding to my last post; I wondered how this had turned out for you, and now we should be able to hook you up.

-- slingshotter

9. larsonswv

larsonswv Thread Starter

slingshotter:

Ok I downloaded the YIM 5.0, and rebooted. It actually comes up as if it is connecting now, but just stays on connecting to yahoo. I added yahoo to my allowed programs in Bitdefended. I tried using MSN help at this point, and it gave me the following suggestions:

If Messenger has never been able to connect, try this:

Open the Login menu in Messenger.
    Click on Preferences, then click on the Connection tab.
    Click on No network detection, then hit the OK button at the bottom.
    Messenger will ask you if you want to try to log on with your new proxy settings. Click the Yes button.
    When prompted, enter your ID and password, then hit the Login button.
    If that doesn't work, follow these steps:
    Click on Firewall with no proxies, then hit the OK button at the bottom.
    Messenger will ask you if you want to try to log on with your new proxy settings. Click the Yes button.
    When prompted, enter your ID and password, then hit the Login button.
    The above configuration will work in almost any situation. However, if you connect in this way, you won't be able to use the voice chat feature.

If neither of the above options work, you're probably behind a firewall or proxy server that requires you to enter its address. Follow these steps:

Click on Use proxies. Here you can enter your firewall and/or proxy server's address and port number. Contact your network administrator (if you're at work), or your Internet Service Provider (if you're at home) to determine the correct firewall and proxy settings.

I trired the first 2 suggestions, and it didn't work. I don't know where to find the firewall/proxy settings for the last one. I'm not sure if my ISP has a firewall, I do know that the Bitdefender has one. Do I just contact them, or should it be somewhere in my software?

10. slingshotter

slingshotter

Hi larsonswv,

Since I've never used BitDefender, and know nothing about it, I really can't advise you on how to correct this. I use the free version of ZoneAlarm from ZoneLabs, and I've never had that type of problem on ANY of my systems.

The thing to do right now is to KILL your firewall; use Control - Alt - Delete to shut it down, and then run Yahoo Mess. If it works, you will KNOW that BitDefender is blocking it somehow, and you can search the website for a solution, or call tech support, or post your results here, and maybe someone else will educate BOTH of us about this. Don't forget to shut down Yahoo Mess from the SYSTEM TRAY, so it doesn't run in the background for no reason, then restart BitDefender, or better yet, reboot.

You're making great progress; I just wish I could be of more help. Let us know what you learn; the information could help someone else in the future.

-- slingshotter

11. larsonswv

larsonswv Thread Starter

Slingshotter:

Well I tried taking out Bitdefender, but no luck (YIM still woudn't connect). While I was searching their website trying to find the proxy/firewall info, I tried connecting to yahoo again. Well it had asked me if I wanted to upgrade, and I had said no originally, but thought maybe it would help? I had the upgraded version before I rebooted my computer, and I did enjoy all of the new audibles/emoticons. So I did, and it works now...Go figure. It wouldn't work the first time that I downloaded it that way at all. It did take going through Firefox/5.0/then the upgrade. I'm not sure that will help anyone else, but I thank you for your time and your support. And as soon as my hubby gets paid again, I will totally be donating to this site. ITS AWESOME! Thanks again :D

12. slingshotter

slingshotter

Hi again, larsonswv!

See, you figured this out WITHOUT my help! I would NEVER have suggested that you update Yahoo Mess (which really IS a good product; better than both MSN Mess and AIM), because of the things I DISLIKE so much about the latest version, but if it works for YOU, then THAT works for me!

The people who maintain this site NEED your donation to cover the enormous expenses running this service generates, and I'm sure they'll be happy to receive it. Windows coughs up more furballs than ALF, so your diligence in pursuing this seems to have paid off. Feel free to use the "Thread Tools" (in the menu bar directly above your first post) to mark this as SOLVED. Only the ORIGINAL poster has that ability, so if you don't do it, a moderator or admin will have to sometime later.

Thanks for making my day a good one, and for being generous enough to donate funds to keep the TSG forums alive. Guess we'll have to stop meeting like this, but at least I'll see you in the ether!

-- slingshotter

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice