1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: iGoogle, what is it?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by davehghs, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davehghs

davehghs Thread Starter

iGoogle, what is it and why is it suddenly my Homepage when I never asked for it? I usually have my Packard Bell website as my Homepage which does have a Google search facility. But it also has all the other things I want from Packard Bell. Now though I've got this iGoogle rubbish.

I do use Google as my default search engine but if they are going to start hi-jacking my browser I think I'll use a different search engine from now on.

Anyone have any idea how I can revert back to my Packard Bell page?:mad:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Change your home page in the browser settings.

3. davehghs

davehghs Thread Starter

Thats the first thing I tried. The problem is, I used a Personalised page from Packard Bell and I can't get that back. If I click on use default, the iGoogle page re-directs me away from my Packard Bell page to iGoogle which I never wanted in the first place. The only time I use my Google account is on the rare occasion that I use Youtube. I've gone into my Google account and deleted it but that makes no difference.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Why can't you put the address in for the home page?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

iGoogle is a customized Google home page. I thought Packard Bell went out of business, so I'm curious as to how you have their company's site as your home page and what you mean by customizing it.

6. davehghs

davehghs Thread Starter

iGoogle might be a customised webpage but I have never been to it. Packard Bell are still up and running, here is their website. http://www.packardbell.co.uk/pb/en/GB/content/home .
    It was customised by Packard Bell to suit the PC I bought. I could just click on different links and it would take me straight to the item related to my PC, save me having to search the site each time. But that isn't really the issue here, its iGoogle hijacking your Homepage and redirecting it without your consent and there being no way to return it to the way you had it.
    I never thought that Google was that devious.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Good grief. Google is not devious and has certainly not taken over your home page. You're not explaining the problem in a way that I can help you. I got to the Packard Bell website link you posted without a problem. What problem are you have getting to it?

Be specific.
    You open your web browser.
    You type in a URL........what URL??
    Then what exactly happens? You're saying you type in www.packardbell.co.uk and your browser changes to www.igoogle.com? I doubt it.

8. davehghs

davehghs Thread Starter

Thanks for your email, you might doubt it but that is what happens. With my Packard Bell homepage, if I clicked on RAM it would take me straight to the RAM which is suitable for my Laptop, or Troubleshooting and it would take me to the troubleshooting page for my Laptop. But its the fact that iGoogle has taken over my Homepage and won't let me re-set it.
    But its about time I reformatted anyway so that is what I'll be doing tonight. I usually do it about once a year or 18 months.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027469

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice