Solved: illegal opperation on startup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

czargoth

one day i booted up my parents windows 98 se dell comp (i run xp pro on my build) and right when i got to the desktop everything committed an illegal operation, and it said that a .dll file was missing. I booted up in safe mode and did a virus and spyware scan, also made sure there were plenty of system resources available, i found 6 viruses, and no spyware using spybot and avast.
If there is anthing you need to know, i have a lot of the systems info. What should i do? I am unfamiliar with anything pre 2k.I would like to avoid reformating it, because i dont have a 98se cd.
thanks in advanced,
czargoth

czargoth

rebooted in normal, and a thing came up that said "to many parometers"
then i get about 20 illegal operaton page fault pop ups, including .explorer, and then my backgronds just there, and thats it. this time i didnt get the .dll error.

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
You can try restoring the registry back to an earlier date before this problem started.

Have you ever used the ScanReg command?

Cheeseball81

Retired Moderator
As long as Registry Checker has always been enabled to run at Startup, that makes a backup of the Registry when you boot up.

Click Start > Shut Down > Restart in MS-DOS mode.
At the command prompt, type "scanreg /restore" (without the quotes).

Note that there is a space after scanreg.
You'll be given a choice of dates. Select one and click Restore.

czargoth

tried that, but it failed, it also would only let me go back to the 11th, and that is about when the problem ocurred. even in command prompt the to many parometers thing comes up

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome.

Why don't you have the Dell Windows 98 cd?

czargoth

my dad got it a few years from uvm state college, its a fully legal version, but my dad just didnt get the disk...it was made for windows 2000 but they got it wth 98se, and i didnt want to put ne money into it cuz i have my own comp that im on right now... i might be able to get hold of a cd.. i dunno we do happen to have a windows 98 full kicking around, and i have a wndows xp pro sp2

czargoth

i know u can get the product key off your computer if you have a legal verson of windows installed, but i dont remember how u get it, and if you are able to get it while in safe mode

czargoth

ok, well i found the dell product key. i just noticed that the day that the computer went crazy was also the day that we installed a wifi card. i uninstalled the card, but still nothing

my friend has a gateway 98se full, but i doubt that would work on a dell key

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Can you still get into safe mode? And no, we don't want to try to use a Gateway OEM cd on a Dell system.

When you say you found the product key, what about the cd?

czargoth

i can get into safe mode, and i got the key by going my computer, properties. I do NOT have the cd.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online