1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

{SOLVED} im a begginner, installing a new hard drive (scsi) so this may seem silly,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lee 1979, Aug 9, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lee 1979

Lee 1979 Thread Starter

How do you get the power to your hard drive. The power supply has no extra wires or anything. Where does it come from?

2. brianF

brianF

If you don't have a spare power plug you will need to purchase a Y adapter to split one of the existing plugs into two. Hard to believe you don't have a spare laying inside your case, never say a machine that didn't have some.

3. Lee 1979

Lee 1979 Thread Starter

thanks. I cant see any at all. All the wires coming out of the power supply go somwhere. you think it should be alright if i split the existing hard drive supply. My machine is less than a year old too.

4. RonK

RonK

Welcome Lee,
    There's no problem splitting the hard drive power supply. Just make sure you don't split it too many times.

5. LarryCore

LarryCore

Lots of newer machines are coming with small power supplies that don't have lots of leads on them. I'm seeing more and more of it. It's quite annoying.

Anyway, one Y adapter won't hurt anything. As said above, it isn't recommended that you use more though.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech

7/9 added two pay to listen to music sites

I've gotten 5 $18 amazon.com GCs in 4 weeks listening to music! http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

6. Lee 1979

Lee 1979 Thread Starter

thanks for the replies, hdd is sorted. oh how do i put in the subject line that its solved?

7. LarryCore

LarryCore

You don't [​IMG]

That's something us admin folks do.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech

7/9 added two pay to listen to music sites

I've gotten 5 $18 amazon.com GCs in 4 weeks listening to music! http://www.rkfdcore.com/ebaypics/referrals.htm

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/33491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice