1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I'm an idiot that accidentally deleted my CD/DVD ROM Drive drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dphifer74, Nov 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dphifer74

dphifer74 Thread Starter

Apparently, as I was trying to create more space on my hard drive, I accidentally deleted or "corrupted" the device drivers for my Hitachi LG DVD-ROM drive as well as my Samsung CDRW/DVD drive. I've tried downloading firmware for both, but consistently see this in the Device Manager: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing." I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both devices, also tried a System Restore. So far nothing has worked. Please help as I am pulling out every strand of my hair.:eek:

2. frankjohn

frankjohn

Go to device Mgr. & uninstall your drives, re boot and windows will recognise the drives

3. frankjohn

frankjohn

Im sorry i see you have tried this

4. dphifer74

dphifer74 Thread Starter

I found a thread where someone had a very similar problem. I had looked prior to posting this, but apparently overlooked it the first time. The suggestion was to copy and paste this:
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

into a notepad file with the name fixcd.reg and then double-click on the file. The first attempt was unsuccessful. However, when I tried uninstalling and reinstalling again, both devices were found and are working fine...so far (cross fingers). Thank you for your time and advice.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768635

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice