1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: I'm locked out of my own computer...help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hhannam, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    When I was attempting to modify the booting process on my newly acquired computer to be an uninterrupted process rather than having to select a user icon midway, I managed to somehow alter the booting process so that now it stops shortly after beginning to show a page with a message that reads as follows:
    "The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type in your password again".

[Note: Before proceeding further, I should also state that the actions I took to automate the booting process involved selecting an option to autologon from within a "Microsoft Power Toys for Windows XP" program called "TweakUI", but then proceeded to also enter a password when it was offered in the same step in the process. I had never used a password before, and admittedly was foolish to enter one at this point, and it unfortunately resulted in this problem being created.]

I don't know how you can check the domain when this screen occurs. The only real options presented at this point are to enter the ID and password again, or shut down. I am absolutely certain about which User name I entered (as the Administrator) and also the four letter password I selected, but they don't work with this new boot. I've tried changing the letter cases, entering adjacent letters on the keyboard (from along side the letters of my password in case my fingers weren't properly placed for Qwerty), but none of these alternative attempts have worked either.

I also had someone recommend making an ISO disk of a <removed reference to illegal software>, which has high review ratings, and using it to boot the computer and having it detect any passwords. Problem is, it didn't come up with any passwords. In fact, along side of "Administrator" it said,"Not found", and along side "Guest" it said, "empty", so that approach didn't work either ( It should be stated that I don't know how to implement that program fully either, but apparently the autorun process alone is supposed to be enough to detect and reveal any passwords. I'm uncertain about why it did not find any passwords, but I do know that the password I entered as the Administrator with the "TweakUI" program was encrypted on entry, so perhaps that accounts for the failed detection.

If anyone has any ideas on how to crack this nut, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks! :confused:

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Can you logon as Guest. Can you boot into safe mode?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

(We can't discuss password hacking or tools to accomplish such, so I removed the reference from your post.) In any case, this is not strictly a password problem so there is no password to be found. Your password was blank and TweakUI is trying to log you in with the wrong password.

Have you tried a blank password? Try Ctrl+Alt+Del twice at the logon screen if you have an Admin account on the machine.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is this a work computer?

5. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    No, I cannot log on in any way....that's the problem. Also, when I attempted to use safe mode (before you inquired) it still asked for an ID and password...but the ones I used are not being recognized by the system. :(

6. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    No, it is not a work computer. I recently purchased this custom built computer on Ebay for my personal use at home. It had Windows XP Pro SP3 loaded on it's 80 Gig HD. I'd like to keep that Pro version to use if I can, but if all else fails I have a licensed copy of Windows XP Home Edition that I can load onto the HD and start all over again.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you try the blank password in your account? If you had none, it should work.

Is your name listed on the Welcome screen?

8. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I think I did try entering an ID (both my name and then just administrator) and not entering a password, but to be honest it's been days ago now and I'm such an old f--t that I can't remember for sure. I'll have to yank all the wires from this old computer and hook up the new(er) one to try that again. I've also just seen a comment in the (Microsoft Power Toys) TweakUI program that says to hold down the shift key while booting in order to temporarily disable the bypass...I think. I'll have to try that too.

Also...no, my name is not on the welcome screen....and I should also mention that the first thing I noticed about the new (welcome) screen was that it was completely different from the one that had the User icon selection. In fact, I don't really know if it's a welcome screen at all. It now is a very small logo and Windows Pro label in the center of the screen. However, the message box that appears a couple seconds later telling me that the system could not log me on is a second overlay dialogue box/window including a segment for re-entering the User ID and password again.

The irony is that the system never asked me to enter an ID or password to begin with, so why did it (automatically) block the booting process and ask me to re-enter the info? :confused:

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

The problem is, of course, that you entered a password in TweakUI. So now the machine is trying to log you on automatically using that password, which is incorrect since you didn't have one.

Give the Shift key a try. That does sound familiar. Try blank passwords (the new login is probably the old Win 2000 log in and not the Welcome screen, but it works the same). Try logging in as Administrator (which you may have to fill into the box) and the admin password (if any), or try a blank there, too. And also try Ctrl+Alt+Del (twice) on that login screen to see if you can get an admin login option.

If you can get logged in as an administrator, try going to Control Panel and making the password for your account the one that you put into TweakUI. Then when you reboot, it should log you in automatically. You can then go back to User Accounts and remove the password if you want, but it is a good idea to have one, for both security, and because the Task Scheduler (and other things) don't work without one. XP runs in expectation of password-protection and it is assumed to exist by many applications.

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The Shift key should indeed solve this issue, I use the same feature, and if I want to login as someone else, I just hold down shift before the Windows login processing.

You should also be able to boot in Safe Mode and undo the setting.

11. TooBad

TooBad

Give this man a kewpee doll. Be sure to hold down the shift key from the time that you see the Windows screen with the scrolling bar under it until you get the login screen. This will stop the auto logon process and from there you can remove the password that you entered in tweakUI so that the password is blank. After logging in successfully, you can either change your password to match the one used in tweakUI or go into the registry using regedit and search for AutoAdminLogon. In that key that that value exists are the values for username and password. You can either set AutoAdminLogon to 0, i.e. prompt for logon every time, or set the password to the correct value (blank if you did not change the password, or the password that you set).

12. tosh9i

tosh9i

13. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    Elvandil......Kudos to you!!!!! Holding down the shift key worked. This time my name ("Hec") did appear and leaving the password blank did the trick. Once I was booted, I went to the control panel and entered the same password as I had entered into TweakUI into my (Administrator) account under the name "Hec" and restarted the computer.

As you predicted, the auto-logon process then went smoothly (without holding down the shift key, of course). What a helluva relief!!!! Needless to say, I'm extremely grateful to be back on board again with my new(er) computer. Thanks so much to you and the other participants for all your help. Elvandil.....you don't by any chance own a white horse too, do you?..hah!

About the only question I have left is whether or not you know if there's a way to undo the TweakUI password entry I made if I chose to do so. Frankly, I'm hesitant to mess with success at this point, but I really would like to know about that if you do know and have an extra moment to notify me.

Thanks again amigos....you not only made my day, you made my month!!! :D:D:D:D:D

P.S. - To JohnWill....When I attempted entering safe mode, it also asked for an ID and password., so I couldn't use it to change any settings. I had intended to try a system restore to a time before I used TweakUI, but couldn't do it.

P.S. #2 - To whom it may concern....in order to get my keyboard to function completely (i.e., to use arrows to select the safe mode option and also to enter and change any BIOS settings) I had to substitute another directly connected keyboard instead of my cordless keyboard which wouldn't function (I'm assuming because the booting process hadn't proceeded far enough along to activate it).

14. hhannam

hhannam Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dick
    I just now saw your last reply and wanted to thank you for all your help. For reasons unknown I have yet to be able to make a connection with the first link you provided in your above reply to me.

Holding down the shift key during the booting brought up the window with my entered name (as the administrator) in the ID slot, and I left the password blank as suggested by Elvandil. It worked. Once I was booted I went thru control panel to enter the same password into my sole open account as I had with TweakUI, and when I rebooted the autologon process worked as it was supposed to.

Thanks ever so much for all your help. I guess the rules and policies frown upon displaying that program you recommended, but I can assure you and anyone else that I'm not the type to use if for nefarious purposes.

Gracious Amigo!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

To undo the autologon, just run TweakUI and uncheck the box next to the option. The logon screen will then appear as usual. You would need to go to User Accounts only if you wanted to remove your password, too. But keep it. It may just slow down some malware sometime.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice