1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Solved) I'm Sorry, All kinds of problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AngelQM, Nov 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AngelQM

AngelQM Thread Starter

Hello,
    I apologize, I know I've read on this forum that you would like for everyone to be specific with their problems, however, I have many here, and I think they may all somehow be related.

In No specific order:
    My media buttons on my keyboard don't work (including volume knob), and my mouse has also been acting goofy (scrolling too slow then speeding up & having me all over the place), If I click on start-control panel, my computer freezes and has to be turned off by the on/off button. All programs and web pages open VERY slowly, I cannot open any attachments in my outlook express email program (drop-down of paper-clip is shaded), After running spy-bot, I have a long list of "missing shared DLL's" and "wrong app path" in Registry. My computer shut-down is never complete without a pop-up that states "One-Touch Multimedia keyboard: This program is not responding", many of my other programs do not respond on a regular basis also. Whew, I think that's all the problems.

I have a HP Pavilion Intel Celeron Processor with 71% free system resources, 255.0 MB of Ram, 32-bit file system, & 32-bit virtual memory. My keyboard is HP (Netropa?) one-Touch Multimedia & my mouse is a Microsoft Trackball optical. My OS is Windows 98SE.

I Have norton anti-virus 2003, Sygate Personal Firewall, Free-Edition pop-up stopper and Spybot S & D (I noticed some of the problems began after I installed this program)

I Have already ran Scandisk (thorough), Defrag, at MSCONFIG-startup, I checked only what was necessary per a list I found at PC world, and complete virus scan last night.

I am not computer savvy, I'm learning as I go, I apologize If I rambled on too much, but I wanted to make sure you have all the info needed to help me.

I have not yet done "HijackThis", and if you need me to do so, PLEASE explain to me how to "extract HijackThis to it's own folder" so that I DO NOT run it from within a zip manager (Winzip) as they ask of you on their website.

Please, Please, Help me,
    Thank you,
    Angelique

2. AngelQM

AngelQM Thread Starter

Also, If I posted my problems in the wrong category, please let me know where I should have this post, I wasn't sure which category my problems fell under.
    Thank you,
    Angelique

3. shadowcat

shadowcat

Hello and welcome to TSG! :D

First, I would run Spybot and "Check for Updates", then download the update(s). Run the program and fix anything it finds.

Then, download Ad-Aware, check for updates, then run, letting it fix anything it finds.

Unzip Hijack This -- I did and had no noticable effects on the program. Run it and click on the button "Save Log" -- do not fix anything yet.

Make sure you can find where you saved the log. Open the log using Word Pad (found in Start - Programs - Accessories), copy the log, then paste it in the Security forum (because I'm not good at reading the log and those who visit the Security forum has more experience at it.)

Hopefully, this will help alleviate some of your computer problems.

Good luck!

4. AngelQM

AngelQM Thread Starter

Thank you shadowcat, I'll try all of that now. :)

5. AngelQM

AngelQM Thread Starter

Hello Again, still having problems, so I posted my problems & "HijackThis" log to the security forum.
    I hope I'm in the right place over there. :)
    Thanks,
    Angelique

6. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

For the outlook express problem do this:

Open up Outlook. Go to Tools. Options. Security tab. Uncheck the box that says something like "Do not allow download of attachments that could be a virus" or something like that.

For the other issues. Do you have any CDs that came with the computer?

7. AngelQM

AngelQM Thread Starter

Thanks msgtgumby! That fixed the Outlook express problem, I feel like such a doof! Yes, I do have CD's that came with the computer, but not for the keyboard, and the last time I tried to use the Recovery CD, it didn't work for me & I ended up calling HP & they had to walk me through a recovery for $59.95.
    Thank you again,
    Angelique

8. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

If you have the Windows 98 cd throw it in. Go to the Start Menu, select Run, type in SFC That'll run the "system file checker" to make sure none of your system files are corrupt/missing. If they are corrupt/missing that will replace/fix them.

And that outlook thing got me at first too when i first started using outlook so don't feel dumb :)

9. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

And I have no experience with Multimedia keyboards (don't use mine, never installed the software) but, below is a link to your Netropia one with software for it. Uninstalling the old software and installing it again couldn't hurt.

http://www.netropa.com/download/mmkbd/download.html

10. AngelQM

AngelQM Thread Starter

Thank you again, msgtgumby ! I won't have my Windows 98 CD until Monday, My sister borrowed it, so I'll try that on Monday, and I'll try the new keyboard software next.
    Angelique

11. msgtgumby

msgtgumby

Your welcome, let us know it goes. If that doesn't work there's always more to try.

12. cnimbus

cnimbus Banned

13. AngelQM

AngelQM Thread Starter

Hello again,
    The netropa website didn't have the HP keyboard listed, Thank you cnimbus for the HP link, I'm trying that now. :)

14. AngelQM

AngelQM Thread Starter

Hello again,
    OK, here's the problem, at the website link Cnimbus provided me, It states that I have to first get to the keyboard manager tab. I tried through Start--Control panel and that's as far as I got before my computer froze and I had to shut it down by the on/off button. Then, I tried Start--Windows Explorer--Control Panel, Clicked on Keyboard, but it froze on "speed" and wouldn't let me access properties. I then hit ctrl+Alt+Delete and it states "mmkbdprp (not responding)", so I ended the task and tried Start--Find "Keyboard Manager", same thing, froze, and then I had to "end task" through ctrl+alt+delete. Can anyone tell me how else I can get to the Keyboard Manager Tab? Or why it won't let me?
    Thank you,
    Angelique

15. AngelQM

AngelQM Thread Starter

Hello again,
    OK, here's the problem, at the website link Cnimbus provided me, It states that I have to first get to the keyboard manager tab. I tried through Start--Control panel and that's as far as I got before my computer froze and I had to shut it down by the on/off button. Then, I tried Start--Windows Explorer--Control Panel, Clicked on Keyboard, but it froze on "speed" and wouldn't let me access properties. I then hit ctrl+Alt+Delete and it states "mmkbdprp (not responding)", so I ended the task and tried Start--Find "Keyboard Manager", same thing, froze, and then I had to "end task" through ctrl+alt+delete. Can anyone tell me how else I can get to the Keyboard Manager Tab? Or why it won't let me?
    Thank you,
    Angelique

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/183438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice