1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Image repair displays wrong partition drive letter, but right Time and date

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Whard, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whard

Whard Thread Starter

My OS is Windows 8.1.
    I partitioned my hard drive and labeled the new partition (H), the (D), is the recovery partition from HP. I then created an image of the (C), onto partition (H).
    I than checked the recover image through the recover process and the new image reads (D) not (H). The funny thing is, that the date and time is correct for when I created it.
    Does anyone have some insight on this?
    Thank you,
    RS

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I can't be sure, but I think that you are falling for Microsoft's trap of believing that "driver letters" actually uniquely identify real devices (drives) or partitions on actual drives.

Starting with Vista the partition from which you booted is marked as the "C drive" (and A and B are still reserved for floppies). While there is some method to the madness of assigning other drive letters you really have to consider it a random process, and actually recognize your partitions by Name, size, type, etc.

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

Is creating an Image of C: on the same HDD not a bit like putting the fox to bed with the chickens..?

T.

4. Whard

Whard Thread Starter

So pretty much what your is saying, that windows is narcissistic. Thank you for reply appreciate it.

5. Whard

Whard Thread Starter

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. Was it, as I guessed, just confusion over the drive letter designation? Your image was really where you expected it to be?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice