1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Image 'type' is wrong; refers to uninstalled program

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by joia, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joia

joia Thread Starter

XP SP3 When I slide my sensor over a photo image icon the following info is shown:
    Dimensions of image, Date image taken, Camera model, Type, and Size in Mb. My problem is the "type" shown - it is always Jasc After Shot Picture. This is INCORRECT as Jasc Afte Shot program was uninstalled 2 years ago when I installed Adobe Lightroom. Where is this coming from and how do I remove this erroneous information from the description of all of my images? Please, if you can help, give me step by step - I'm old and computer challenged!
    joia

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click, Open With, Choose the correct program.

3. joia

joia Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick response, Elvandil. Well, I told you I am a doofus. There are about 8,000 images in my Lightroom program. I couldn't (could, but won't) do each and every image. Somewhere in my system is a prompt for that 'type'. It must have been implanted when I was using Jasc. Is there a way to get to that to change it? Obviously, I don't know what I'm talking about, unfortunately. I did try a moment ago to right click on an image icon but there is no Open With available.

4. joia

joia Thread Starter

Elvandil, perhaps I should add that I have no problem opening my images in any program and do whatever I want to do. It just bugs me that all the images refer to an old, obsolete (I believe) program and I don't know WHY and don't like having the reference to that program. Where does "Type" come from??

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

You only need to do it for one and the file type will be changed for all.

The "types" are correlated in the registry.

6. joia

joia Thread Starter

You are a WONDERFUL person, Evandil! We did it! I right clicked on one image icon, went to Properties, changed the Open with to a recommended program and VOILA!! Every image I now hover the sensor over shows the CORRECT 'Type', jpeg, tif, whatever. I am so grateful to you - this has been bugging me for ages. Thank you so much. joia

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

I'm only sorry that I didn't mention that you would only need to do it to one file of that type. It occurred to me to mention it, but I thought that you'd probably try it on just one. Sorry about that.

Have fun. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice