1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Implications of installing Windows 7 Ultimate

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Lulu01, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lulu01

Lulu01 Thread Starter

I would like to do a clean instal on my Dell Studio pc as I have had nothing but problems since I bought it with Vista Home Premium pre installed. I have decided to move to Windows 7.

The cheapest option is to upgrade. I have run the Upgrade Advisor and been told that I can upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate. My husband is a mature student so I can get an education licence for Ultimate at £57.99. There is no education licence of Windows 7 Home Premium available so the cheapest is £98. That said, the functionality in Ultimate is way over the top for my needs.

What are the implications of installing Ultimate as and when a new version of Windows or whatever comes out - am I always going to have to instal (and pay for) the top end version?

I have considered biting the bullet now and buying the full version as I'm not sure of the complexity of performing a clean install with upgrades discs. Any thoughts anyone?

Lulu

2. mel8again

mel8again

What model of Dell Studio do you have? I personally like to do a full clean install. I find a lot of people who do upgrades have problems afterwards. I built my present computer and installed Win 7 on it. I didn't have to put in any mobo drivers or drivers of any kind. Windows 7 picked up everything. Just incase though I would have the drivers for the video, sound, lan, etc. on hand. I think most machines running Vista will have the same drivers for Win 7. http://search.euro.dell.com/results...~srd=False&ipsys=False&advsrch=False&~ck=anav

3. Lulu01

Lulu01 Thread Starter

Thanks for your post, mel8again. I have a Studio 540. I was thinking of going for the full software, but it's almost twice the price of the education software.

I'm just a bit concerned re having to upgrade to the 'top' level of software every time if I install Ultimate now.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no reason why picking Ultimate now would lock you into always having to choose the "top" version. As mentioned, it is not a good idea to upgrade if a fresh installation is a possibility, so there would be no linking of future versions to what you pick now. Your manufacturer will almost certainly not offer any further upgrades to that machine in particular - it will be obsolete in a few months, anyway (according to the way manufacturers count time as new models are produced).

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

By the time Microsoft releases a new operating system, you'll need a new computer which will come with its own new Windows license.

6. Lulu01

Lulu01 Thread Starter

Good points, Elvandil and DoubleHelix - thanks. If I'm going for a clean install, would it make sense to just bite the bullet then and buy the full version rather than faff with the upgrade (albeit it at £40 more)>

(Seems I posted in the wrong forum - sorry Moderator)

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You don't need to pay for a full version when you clearly qualify for the upgrade license price. You shouldn't have any problems doing a "clean" install with the upgrade disk. You may have to call Microsoft to activate it, but I think that's a minor inconvenience given the cost savings.

8. Lulu01

Lulu01 Thread Starter

Thanks, DoubleHelix. Will go off and order it now!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/930330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice