1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Import contacts from Excel into Outlook 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Memsahib, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Memsahib

Memsahib Thread Starter

I have an excel spreadsheet which has names ( first and surname in single column under NAMES ) and email addresses (under EMAIL) which I want to import into my Outlook Personal Address book. I have followed advice of previous post but still only get the email addresses, no names. Tried suggestion of inserting a userdefined name for the spreadsheet but I still only get the option of email address in the import-from column. I have tried renaming the columns, I have tried changing them around. Is it because I don't have addresses and phone numbers?

2. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Please explain in detail what you already tried. My advice would be to do the following:

1) Open Outlook and export your existing contact(s) to an Excel file
    (FILE >> IMPORT / EXPORT >> EXPORT TO FILE >> EXCEL)

2) Open the resulting export file and delete all contact info out of the file except for the column headers.

3) Paste your new contacts into the appropriate columns of the export file.

4) Save File and then re-import into Outlook

Regards,
    Rollin

3. Memsahib

Memsahib Thread Starter

Thank you, Rollin! In fact I tried moving my PAB files into Contacts so I could do a mail merge and lost everything. But fortunately some months ago I exported my PAB into Excel as a back up. I am trying to import that Excel file back into Outlook which now has empty Contacts and PAB. So far I have saved the Excel file with a userdefined name ( as suggested by a previous post on here) saved and closed the file. Imported that file into PAB or Contacts and when I try to Map Custom Fields there is only the email addresses in the FROM column. No names. If I proceed with the import I get only the email addresses and no names in my Contacts or PAB. I have done it successfully before but just won't work this time!

4. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Go into Outlook and create a sample "dummy" contact.

Next export this dummy contact using FILE >> EXPORT and choose Excel as the export type.

By creating the "dummy" contact and exporting it you are allowing Outlook to create an import "template" that is already in the correct format with the fields already mapped. Then all you need to do is open this file and delete the dummy data from it and copy and paste the real contact info from your old workbook into the appropriate column in the new "template" workbook. Then save and try to import the new workbook.

Regards,
    Rollin

5. Memsahib

Memsahib Thread Starter

Thanks, for quick response. It is getting late here now 11.40pm so I will give it a go in the morning and let you know how I go!
    Regards
    Memsahib

6. Memsahib

Memsahib Thread Starter

I couldn't resist, and so had a go before going to bed and ...it worked perfectly. Thank You and Cheers, Rollin Again
    Regards
    Memsahib!

7. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Glad to help! If you don't mind please mark this thread as solved. Welcome to the boards BTW !!!

Regards,
    Rollin

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!