1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Import/Export Outlook 2007 Contacts

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by EBSchrader, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EBSchrader

EBSchrader Thread Starter

First of all, I don't have Business Contact Manager installed in either computer. I am moving my Outlook 2007 Contacts from XP to Vista in the new computer. I used to know how to move my address book in Outlook Express, but I'm strictly a novice with Outlook. Please, can anyone help me? :confused:

2. foxydude

foxydude

Outlook uses a file type called .pst You can create a backup copy of your contacts , How to do this from Microsoft

To back up the Contacts folder, you need to export the folder to a file in Personal Folders file (.pst) (Personal Folders file (.pst): Data file that stores your messages and other items on your computer. You can assign a .pst file to be the default delivery location for e-mail messages. You can use a .pst to organize and back up items for safekeeping.) format.

1. On the File menu, click Import and Export.
    2. Click Export to a file, and then click Next.
    3. In the Create a file of type list, click Personal Folder File (.pst), and then click Next.
    4. In the Select a folder to export from list, click Contacts.
    5. If you have subfolders below the Contacts folder that you want to include, select the Include subfolders check box.
    6. Click Next.
    7. Click Browse, choose a location for the file, such as My Documents, and then type a name for your backup file, such as ContactsBackup.pst.
    8. Click OK.
    9. Click Finish.
    10. In the Name box, type My Contacts Backup.
    11. Type the encryption and password settings if you need them, and then click OK.
    You can then import this file into your new Outlook

1. On the File menu, click Import and Export.
    2. Click Import from another program or file, and then click Next.
    3. In the list, click either Comma Separated Values (Windows) or Tab Separated Values (Windows), depending on which format you saved your file in, and then click Next.
    4. Click Browse, locate your file, and then click Next.
    5. Click your Contacts folder or another folder that contains contacts, and then click Next.
    6. In the list, click the file that contains your address list, and then click Map Custom Fields.

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi EBSchrader

Does your Vista machine also have Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 installed?
    If so, copy the .pst file to the Vista machine and connect the .pst file to Outlook 2007:
    File > Open > Outlook Data File
    Browse to the location of the .pst file and select it.

The Personal Folders should then appear in Outlook.

4. EBSchrader

Foxydude: Can I just export my contacts to my desktop, and then copy to a zip drive?

EAFiedler: Yes, Office 2007 Small Business Edition is installed on my new Vista machine. Will the zip drive be accessible for your instructions in the new computer? I really don't want to screw this up! :eek:

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

You will be using a zip drive to transfer a copy of the .pst file to the new computer?

If so, access the zip drive and copy the .pst file to a location on the hard drive, verify the .pst file is not marked Read-only, open Outlook 2007 and connect to the .pst file.

6. EBSchrader

It's done! Thanks -- you guys rock!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/819378

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice