Solved: Importing to Access

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

haroldb

I have many Microsoft Works data bases. I am trying to "upgrade" them to Microsoft Access, without success. I started with a simple address list. Per Access Help, I cannot just save the Works Database file as an Access file, so I follow the procedure in Access Help: I start by creating a new Access table with the same fields as the Works Database I want to "upgrade". Then I save the Works file as a dBase IV file. Then in Access I select File/Get External Data/Import, and select the dBase IV file I just created. I get an error message: The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object "Address List.dbf. Make sure the object exists and that you spell its name and path correctly." That can't be the problem since I'm selecting it, not spelling it. My system is Windows XP Home Edition, with Microsoft Works 8 and Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003.

Have you tried linking to it? Oddly, sometimes that will work when importing won't. Once you have it linked, copy and save the data structure without the data (see if that will break the link) and then do an update query to copy the data from the linked file to the new table.

Are you rebooting to make sure you clear out the memory of it being another format?

haroldb

Apparently the problem was associated with Dbase IV, Works didn't "save as" properly or some such. I tried saving it as a delineated text file and importing that into Access, and it worked fine!

Thanks

Great! Please use the button at the top of the page to mark this thread as Solved. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online