1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Improperly saved Outlook Files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Kirkk, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kirkk

Kirkk Thread Starter

I my haste to reformat my XP sp2 machine, which was in dire need. I saved as many files as possibly by simple dragging them across a small home network.

Smart so far - But instead of properly saving/ converting my Outlook files, I simply copied the whole folder under the user\Local Settings\App Data\Identities\microsoft\ Outlook.

I have these files moved back to the reformatted machine, but when I go to copy paste into the correct folder - it paste the file with a (1) behind and will not let me open it. I had 4 different e-mails set up in OE, and have set up this information as well, to no avail.

I imagine this has something to do with Identities, hopefully not.

Am I SOL, or is there a way to reinstate all my .dbx files. basically "merge" the old dbx's with the new dbx's - .......or I be happy with ANY way to be able to open my old files.

Thank you in advance for any help offered.

2. cherry pie

cherry pie

The most implortant outlook data that you need are contained in the files with the extension (pst) which has the emails. If those are copied in the location you specified, then you got what you want

You need to (open) the pst files (File > Open > Outlook Data files) and choose the appropriate pst file which will grant you access to your email.

3. Kirkk

Kirkk Thread Starter

Cherry,

Thanks for the quick reply, though I might be out of luck. the only extensions I have are .dbx files. some are quite large (475,000 KB) the largest, for example.

If I do a search on the re formatted computer, and I have since used OE, there are still no .pst files. It appears all I have to work with are .dbx files.
    Hope there is an answer - Thanx

and all the best for your friend, prayers were said at Church this morning.

4. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi Kirkk

Can you clarify? You were originally using Outlook Express not Microsoft Outlook?

If you were using Outlook Express, the correct files were saved.
    You don't open the .dbx files, Outlook Express opens those files.

With the folder of saved .dbx files on the Desktop, you can Import the messages and folders into whichever Identity you currently have open.

Start Outlook Express and Import the messages from the Folder on the Desktop.
    File > Import > Messages
    Select: Microsoft Outlook Express 6
    Next
    Select: Import Mail from an OE6 store directory
    OK > Browse to the folder on the Desktop > Next > Next
    The Import should start immediately.
    Click: Finish

For additional Identities, you would then login to the next Identity and Import from their respective folders containing their saved .dbx files.

Let us know if that works for you or not.

5. Kirkk

Kirkk Thread Starter

Yes, It was Express.

Something so simple, so of course I overlooked it - Thank you very much.............
    and I can not emphasize that enough - THANK YOU

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647633

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice