1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Improve both Xbox Live connections?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ilikemetal, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilikemetal

ilikemetal Thread Starter

So here I am again with more Xbox Live related problems, this time when both me and my brother are playing online.

Our setup is like this-v

-Sagecom 4300 connected to RangeMax Wireless-N 150 Router WPN824N (Location: Upstairs in my room)

-My Xbox is connected via Ethernet Cable (Location: Same room as router)

-My brothers Xbox is connected via wireless about 8 or so feet from the router, through two walls, but still receives 5 bar connection.

-Both of us have a laptop which we never have active while online, so that doesn't matter.

-Last, we have a Desktop downstairs which is connected via a Wireless D-Link connecter which is a good 20+ Feet (4 bar connection) from the router.

Now, the problem is, lately we've both had games released that we want to play alot, namely Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3, and when we both play it seems his connection is flawless and I lag like crazy to the point that it usually becomes unplayable. Earlier today when my dad went to use the Desktop I was basically kicked off Live (Couldn't join any games, or friends parties) and my NAT was forced to Strict which made it even worse. So my question is, is there a way we can improve the connections so we can both play online? The actual connection we have is Windstream High Speed with 12 Mbps.

FYI-v

-Both the Router and Modem have the latest firmware and have had their Upnp and Lan settings unlocked and opened to allow open NATs and minimal Firewall problems.

-The necessary ports to be forwarded for XBL are only forwarded for my Xbox's IP address.

-My brother refuses to use a wired connection so that is not likely going to happen :/.

-Switching providers also is most likely not going to happen.

Well, thats it, thanks for reading, help is appreciated.

2. ilikemetal

ilikemetal Thread Starter

Discovered the problem with my internet this entire time. The program that causes my router to check for updates must be faulty becasue it didn't pick up the newest firmware release. Found it online and downloaded it, and I've noticed quite a difference in speed so far.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!