1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: In need of help urgently

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamie0812, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamie0812

jamie0812 Thread Starter

Hey guys, im a first time builder and i just purchased a Cooler Master 500W 12V Elite Power 500 Power Supply Unit.

I did not recieve a power cable with this, and i have sucessfully built a PC. i tried using a 250V/5A power cord on an old PSU, which required a 230V input, but sparks flew out. So does the coolmaster, but i do not want to risk frying inside

i would be much abliged for any help on how to resolve this matter thank you

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sounds like the unit is a) faulty or b) was set to use 110V - i dont know if there is a setting on the back to switch between 110V / 240V

cant see on the images on the web - but usually a slide switch on the back of the unit - anything on yours at all ?

3. jamie0812

jamie0812 Thread Starter

I have checked and there is no swtich apart from the on and off switch on the front of the product. it says input should be 7A 220-240v~ and 50HZ the input i am using is 5A however and is 250V, i dont know if this has anything to do with it.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    is this a fuse in the plug ? thats 5A - most UK supplies are 13A sockets

if it pulls more than 5A then it should just have blown the fuse -

of what ?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, there is some misunderstandings here;
    1 You are using a cord that is rated @5amp @250V. Just because it is rated at those values does not mean that is what it is suppling. If you have that cord plugged into a socket that delivers 120V, then that is all you are going to get; 120V not 250V, 230V or whatever.
    2 If you want assistance, you are going to have to post ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb installed, exact video card installed, etc, etc.

FWIW cooler master does make some semi-decent pw supplies [ok for a basic office build] however they also make some junk units. Post the exact pw supply you have installed.

6. jamie0812

jamie0812 Thread Starter

How am i supposed to know what the mains is supplying then?, itt should supply that amount because i have another desktop installed in another plug socket and that works fine.

im using a

Intel Core i3-3220 3.30GHz (Ivy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor
    MSI GeForce GTX 650 OC 1024MB GDDR5 Graphics Card
    GIGABYTE GA-H61M-DS2 Intel H61 (Socket 1155) Micro-ATX Motherboard
    4GB (1x4GB) Corsair Value Select 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 Module [CMV4GX3M1A1333C9]
    500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 3.5" SATA III Hard Drive - HDD
    500W Cooler Master Elite Power Power Supply ATX 12V V2.3

The psu, desires an input which is 220-240~ 7A at 50HZ.

7. jamie0812

jamie0812 Thread Starter

@ Etaf, yes the 5A is from the fuse, this is why im unsure as the desired input is 7A

and it flew out of the PSU not the Fuse, but that was another PSU not the coolmaster

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, you are still not understanding. It is irrelevant that the cord is rated @250V. If you have it plugged into an outlet that supplies 220V, that is all you are going to get. What the cord's rating means in essence is that it can safely supply 1250 watts. This comes from the formula of VxA=W or volts times amps equals watts.

If you observed sparks from the pw supply unit, you are going to have to check each part ie mb, cpu, ram, video card, etc, etc. You do this by swapping each part into a known working or test system.

9. jamie0812

jamie0812 Thread Starter

I completely understand what your saying. The average UK outlets are 13A and supply 240V~ this is why i dont think the outlet is a problem. Perhaps because i have a 5A and not a 13A fuse may be the problem as it not supply enough power?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    no thats not how it works

The outlet socket in UK houses are connected to a ring main on a 30A fuse in the consumer box
    then the plugs in each socket contain fuses upto 13A

the power needed will be taken by the device regardless of any of these settings - so if the powersupply does take 7A , then the cord with a 5A fuse will simply blow the fuse because its taken more than 5A and simply stop working
    the whole point of the fuse is to protect the circuit and it simply blow - does not limit the power at all

you could connect a 100A device up to the 5A fuse and it would blow the fuse in the plug and possible the fuse or trip in the fuse box as its over 30A - just depends which blows first

so your issue is the power supply - sparks coming from a PSU is a faulty PSU, and that may also have damaged other parts of the PC depending on exactly what happened

hope that helps

11. jamie0812

jamie0812 Thread Starter

I did not connect the old psu to the computer, just incase something did happen happen to it so theres nothing wrong with the PC.

Evidently, is there any advice you could give to what i need to do next, because as useful as the information was im still confused as to what to do next in order to complete this PC

12. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you just powered up the PSU that was on its onwn and not in the case or connected to anything and sparks came out of the PSU - correct

send it back for a replacement - also as it did not have a powercable included - sounds like they may have sent out a faulty unit that had already been returned
    does it look used ?
    what was the box like

13. jamie0812

jamie0812 Thread Starter

yes that is correct, and i am using a kettle plug that did not come with the product.

The older PSU is an ACE(a rather cheap psu) and it came in a box with the connectors all attached with little plastic bindings.
    The same with the coolmaster, came with no lead but in a small brown box with the coolmaster logo on it, again keeping the connectors attatched with small plastic bindings. i just tried the coolmaster with the kettle plug(the one i have been using all this time) and nothing happens, no fuse blown, no noise from the PSu no fans nothing.

If i have been bumped by these people, would you be able to direct me to somewhere with a relatively reliable and budget selection of PSUs? it would be most helpful

14. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    lets rewind

a kettle plug should be OK - most kettles are highly rated and so i would expect to have a higher fuse than 5A in an electric kettle - kettles are often 2500-3000Watts and have 13A fuses in

BUT

where did the sparks come from !!!! what power supply

I'm not sure if the PSU will run without connection - often on the main plug to the mother board - is a connection to the front panel on/off switch - which turns the PSU on/off -

so stand alone it may not do a thing- you will need a PSU expert to reply here - as its possible to short out certain pins on the main plug which will switch the PSU on - but i dont know which pins and you CANNOT just short out pins - it must be the correct ones or damage will occur

15. jamie0812

jamie0812 Thread Starter

So perhaps it is the power cord that is the problem?

Sparks flew out of the OLD psu not the coolmaster. It sparked when i turned on the power the coolmaster did nothing.

I see the problem here, there is a paperclip test which i am tempted to do, which basically simulates what should happen when the PSU is plugged into the motherboard, apparently if this does not work then it is the PSUs fault.

But thank you for the help you have given me

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice